Mac Mini vs. iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zflauaus, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

    Nov 19, 2004
    First, I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

    I currently have $595 or so in my iBook fund. I am growing tired of waiting for the new iBooks to be released, like everyone else.. My Windows PC is can barely run Windows.

    Would the Mac Mini be a better choice than the iBook right now? I am looking at the base Mac Mini. If I opened the Mac Mini to install more memory, would I void my warranty or should I have it installed at the Apple Store? I would run iTunes and sync with my iPod, the occasional iPhoto, surf the net, write papers, and all the stuff 8th graders do. Right now I have a Windows XP desktop and a Windows 98 laptop (it's old, it has a 100MHz processor, 24MB of ram, but still runs Windows 98 and a wireless connection) that will hold me over for some time because I am mainly tied to my desk. I already have a wireless keyboard and mouse (USB), monitor, DVD Burner, printer, etc. I will still keep my PC to act as a web router. Will the Mac Mini fit my needs and still be a good machine for years to come?

    By the way, this would be my first Mac. Thanks for your advice.

  2. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

    Apr 15, 2005
    Nop, Mac Mini uses the same old tech as the ibook. They both need updates.
  3. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

    Nov 19, 2004
    That doesn't really answer my question.
  4. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

    Dec 28, 2004
    I'm also looking at the mac mini as a potential iBook substitute. I think it's a better option for myself because it only costs $500 and it will hold me over for a year or two until the Intel iBooks come out.

    You would not void your warrenty by installing new memory. You can find the instructional video to do so on the Other World Computing website. Other World also sells memory with a lifetime warranty at great prices. If you're in Canada, check out Canada Ram. Both retailers will have memory prices far lower than at Apple.
  5. leekohler macrumors G5


    Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    The Mini isn't a bad choice, and it sounds like you need a computer rather soon. If you don't need a portable, go for the Mini. If you can wait, get the iBook.
  6. zap2 macrumors 604


    Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    i say wait it out, i mean uts not like ur waiting for an ibook update( cuz when u get the rest of the $$ there most likly will be a ibook update) ur waiting to gte the $$ unless you get $$ fast then ur waiting, i say get the ibook when its updated , cuz the mini is a lot like a non-laptop ibook
  7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

    Dr. Dastardly

    Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    How long will it take to make to remaining iBook? I actually don't think that the Mac mini is all that special to be honest. I would much rather have a iBook for some of the obvious reasons, being that its portable, it has a screen, ect. But there are alot of hidden costs with the mini if you want some extras. The mini is a BARE bones mac. The iBook gives you wireless reception standard where the mini does not.

    But if you are DESPERATE then I would weigh your options. And seriously ask yourself how long $400 will take to acquire.

    Also don't wait more than a month for updates. Is the 100-200mhz speed bump worth that much to you?
  8. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

    Nov 19, 2004
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will see what fate has in store for me. Plus the sale-tax free holiday in Missouri (closest Apple Store is in West County) is August 5-7, and my birthday is during then :D . I will definatly tell my parents about that. I could put that money towards upgrades. Anyways, thanks for the advice.

Share This Page