Mac mini VS iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vlajko, May 2, 2010.

1. Vlajko macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I am about to make myself happy with new apple computer.:) Its been a long time since i got my G4 ppc...

Thing is, I'd like to hear your opinion on this.
    I got two options:

1. New Mac Mini with these specs:
    Mac Mini 2.26GHz
    2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo,2GB memory,160GB hard drive,8x double-layer,NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

or

2. Used iMac
    iMac 20", Core 2 Duo 2,4 GHz, Memorija 1GB 800Mhz, Hard disk 250Gb, Grafika ATI Radeon HD2400XT

NOTE
    iMac is sold at my local Apple dealer and there is 3 month warranty. Price difference is really small. iMac is just bit more $( round 80 US dollars)

Main purpose for purchasing this is refreshing my home music studio. Nothing big-just recording some ideas and some demo stuff...

Any thoughts?

edit*
    already have 2GB of spare ram so if i go with iMac would upgrade it

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have a display, KB and mouse to use with Mini? iMac sounds like a good deal IMO but if you have the peripherals Mini needs, it's better as it has more RAM and full warranty

3. Vlajko thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i got 17"studio display, keyboard and pro mouse..regarding RAM- i got one 2GB spare-sitting for nothing so plan is to upgrade iMac if i go with that option..

Went to the store the other day to check that iMac-runs quite good-couldnt see anything wrong with it.

4. Vlajko thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What type is that RAM? It may not be compatible.

Seeing that your display isn't that nice (like 24"), I'd get the iMac and then use both displays. KB and mouse you can use with iMac if you want plus you can upgrade the RAM to 4GB for ~100$

6. Vlajko thread starter macrumors newbie

RAM is fine . same type as in iMac only one bar of 2GB...

What do you mean isnt that nice? :) It was one of the top products when i got it back in the days :)

Yea using two displays is good idea- i got second monitor but not Apple made..
    You just brought me closer to an iMAc!

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is it SODIMM (i.e. laptop RAM)?

Well, IMO 17" as only display ain't that nice, no offense of course :cool:

I have dual 24"s and the other is my iMac and other is BenQ, no issues. The iMac is also faster and anyway a better deal

8. Vlajko thread starter macrumors newbie

its a 2GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM same as in iMac that i might buy...

non taken :cool:

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ahh, cool! Then I'd get the iMac as you can have 3GB then and upgrading is a lot easier than with Mini

10. Vlajko thread starter macrumors newbie

Any other thoughts? someone else?

No offense Hellhammer-you helped me enough, just want to hear others opinions..if possible..

11. EasyJW macrumors member

get the imac [​IMG] put your ram in in, and have 2 monitors with the extra 17" or sell your peripherals altogether and buy a 21.5 iMac!

12. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The display in the 20" White iMac is IPS and is basically as good (except for not having LED backlight) as current production. However the 20" Aluminum iMac has a TN display which is of much lower quality.

That said, the White iMac with your old display connected at the side seems to me a superior choice.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I can never end up justifying a Mini except for HTPC/carputer type applications. That's how I ended up with my 17" Core Duo iMac.

That said, the two concerns I have are:

1) The slower RAM in the iMac may limit you if you end up doing some RAM intensive stuff down the line, though that is somewhat offset by having more of it to begin with

2) How does the HD2400XT stack up against the 9400?

EDIT: Pretty much a wash according to http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=662306

B

14. Vlajko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for input!
    I checked mroogle some more, and with this thread i def. learned few new facts!

Thanks again!

Will let you know when I'm done buying! :)