Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UNCMo96

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
This may seem like a crazy question. However, given the new mini's size and since it has usb-c. Can it do USB-C PD? i.e. run around with the mini and portable monitor + portable keyboard and basically have a laptop? I tried specing it out and it seems like it would be more cost effective than say buying a mb pro.

PowerGala

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2016
I mean, I guess you could do that, but it wouldn't be very portable. If you don't have a power outlet or some sort of giant heavy battery thing, you're not going to able to use it.

If you need a desktop, get a desktop. If you need a laptop, get a laptop.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
I tried specing it out and it seems like it would be more cost effective than say buying a mb pro.

Maybe new. But perhaps refurbished? Is it a question of budget? Because what you're describing seems like a really kludgy way of trying to accomplish computing on the go.

Also, I don't know if you've seen a Mac mini, but I own one and it is not nearly as small as I had expected. I'd compare its size to a hardcover novel. Maybe not the same footprint, but in terms of thickness and weight.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
2lea7t.jpg

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
If you can find a way to put all of this inside a neat briefcase of some sort and if it works for you, then go for it. But it won't be a laptop, it will be a portable desktop.

Reactions: willentrekin

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
If you can find a way to put all of this inside a neat briefcase of some sort and if it works for you, then go for it. But it won't be a laptop, it will be a portable desktop.

I'm now picturing a big ole' steampunk laptop. Like in one of those trunks you see in old movies. Which would be kind of hilarious, if totally impractical.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Small difference, it does not have a battery. Captain Obvious maybe, but it sums up perfectly why it's not a very practical solution.

Anyway, you decide what you need.

zandorf

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Putting the question another way: how does the new Mac Mini compare to a new Macbook Pro running closed-mode connected to desktop monitor? Not quite the same performance-per-dollar, but the Macbook Pro might save you an eGPU which closes the gap?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.