Mac mini vs. laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by UNCMo96, Oct 31, 2018.

1. UNCMo96 macrumors member

This may seem like a crazy question. However, given the new mini's size and since it has usb-c. Can it do USB-C PD? i.e. run around with the mini and portable monitor + portable keyboard and basically have a laptop? I tried specing it out and it seems like it would be more cost effective than say buying a mb pro.

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Desktops are desktops.
    Laptops are laptops.

And that's about all I've got to say!

3. PowerGala macrumors regular

PowerGala

I mean, I guess you could do that, but it wouldn't be very portable. If you don't have a power outlet or some sort of giant heavy battery thing, you're not going to able to use it.

If you need a desktop, get a desktop. If you need a laptop, get a laptop.

4. willentrekin macrumors regular

willentrekin

Maybe new. But perhaps refurbished? Is it a question of budget? Because what you're describing seems like a really kludgy way of trying to accomplish computing on the go.

Also, I don't know if you've seen a Mac mini, but I own one and it is not nearly as small as I had expected. I'd compare its size to a hardcover novel. Maybe not the same footprint, but in terms of thickness and weight.

5. Yvan256 macrumors 603

Yvan256

If you can find a way to put all of this inside a neat briefcase of some sort and if it works for you, then go for it. But it won't be a laptop, it will be a portable desktop.

6. willentrekin macrumors regular

willentrekin

I'm now picturing a big ole' steampunk laptop. Like in one of those trunks you see in old movies. Which would be kind of hilarious, if totally impractical.

7. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Small difference, it does not have a battery. Captain Obvious maybe, but it sums up perfectly why it's not a very practical solution.

Anyway, you decide what you need.

8. zandorf macrumors member

Putting the question another way: how does the new Mac Mini compare to a new Macbook Pro running closed-mode connected to desktop monitor? Not quite the same performance-per-dollar, but the Macbook Pro might save you an eGPU which closes the gap?