Mac Mini Vs Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rei101, May 2, 2014.

1. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Ok...

In my office we have to do loads of renders.

The Mac Pro was taking too long to come out so we got 5 Mac Minis full optimized to do the render in network.

What we ended up doing was multiplying out problems x 5!

We do not get a Mac Pro but the iMacs do the job way faster.

One iMac renders 26 episodes over night, one Mac Mini about 10.

Then, when I set up the job between the 5 Mac Minis, the first one runs fine, the second one get very slow and forget about making the third one to run. While #10 is doing 10 renders, #2 is doing 2.

It may be system bus, there are bunch of variables. But I wish we had a Mac Pro instead of the Mac Minis.

2. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Just out of curiosity what is your complete set-up for your Compressor network ? A client asked me to look into it for him and I was thinking of something using Mac Minis with OS X Server, but you seem to say this doesn't work?

Otherwise, I'm sure we all agree with you that'd over a Mac Mini, we'd all prefer a Mac Pro ;)

3. shaunp macrumors 65816

Depending what app you are using you might be better off with a few off the shelf PC's to do the rendering. If you aren't using them as a desktop, but just to do the rendering it would give you more performance for your money. Linux seems particularly well suited to these tasks.

4. rei101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am using compressor 4.0.7, forget about making it to work as a network. That software has been in alpha testing for ever. Complete nightmare, full of bugs.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

You may want to test these with Mavericks and Compressor 4.1.1. Hardware compression for some compression options was added to 4.1, which should result in a significantly faster output if you can use those settings. See here for more details: http://www.larryjordan.biz/compressor-4-1-hardware-acceleration