Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithw

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2003
Orlando, Florida
I'm holding out for an M2 Ultra Studio, or if that doesn't come, an M3 Ultra Studio. I have no need for PCIe slots (should they be forthcoming on the ASi Mac Pro) and I like the Studio's form factor. The GB6 CPU result for the M1 Ultra is 17373 whereas the M2 Max is 14600. There would be absolutely no way I would buy the M1 Ultra at this point in time. At the very least, Apple should release the M2 Max Studio even if they're not going to release the M2 Ultra Studio. I don't need a laptop form factor.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I need to say that I am confused now. Nothing negative, just not very clear. We now have Mac Mini, Mac Studio and Mac Pro. How to really understand it?

Purchase what meets your needs and requirements. The Mini, Studio, MacPro gives you wide range of capabilities and performance to meet whatever needs/requirements you may have.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Weird pricing. A well-equipped mini with M2 pro costs the same as the entry level Studio with M2 max. Not really a hard choice.

Yep. If you up the ram on the M2 pro mini to 32 Gb it's only 300 less than the entry Studio, or 200 if you factor in the additional 100 for the 10 Gbe. That model is kinda pointless.

So is only 16 Gb for work, one browser for docs plus one ide and one work comms app is already getting close to the 16 Gb or exceeding it.

Reactions: Riot Nrrrd

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I always thought I’d get the Mini M2 Pro, but that Studio M2 Max is looking pretty at not a whole lot more money. I hesitate to spend $2000+ on a laptop because of batteries, but the desktop will last YEARS and it makes a ton of sense to spend the extra money and get the Max

slothinker

Contributor
Nov 28, 2012
After almost a year of a Mac Mini M2 Pro w/ 32Gb RAM and daily use using cloud apps like Google sheets and Excel processing data locally ... I'm totally happy with my purchase. When things slow down it's always a cloud-based issue … a Mac Studio wouldn't help with that.

I'm not sure there's really a middle-road need between my machine and the Mac Pro except that the Studio might be a good choice for businesses where multiple users/accounts are involved, serving as a server, among other uses.

Reactions: Orange Bat

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Bought a studio ultra, I work about 8-10 hours a day on these damn things, if the extra cost helps keep things snappy and the flow going, well worth it.

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
"Buyer's Guide" for Mini or Studio? LOL. C'mon. These machines serve totally different markets. No one considering one is considering the other.
I am - I was looking at a 12 core Mini with 32 Gb Ram and a 1Tb drive this week, but now I'm going with the Studio instead, It's actually cheaper than the mini in that spec!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Mac Mini - small footprint with Apple's intentional limitation ceiling put in place. Mac Studio - a Mini where the ceiling is raised in the height of a Mini footprint, available RAM, memory bandwidth speed, and more. To me, they are really the same systems with the Studio being a more advanced or capable version of the Mini.

Imperial926

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
So it's either low end or high end? No middle ground at all on this is there?
All the silicon chips are more capable than most of us need right now. What you have to ask yourself is how much storage you will need and/or if you are prepared to buy fast, external drives.
The biggest factor is how soon Apple will stop supporting anything you buy, even before its hardware is genuinely challenged.
It will be interesting to see when Apple stops supporting the amazing M1 Minis when, potentially, they might be good to last many more years.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I always thought I’d get the Mini M2 Pro, but that Studio M2 Max is looking pretty at not a whole lot more money. I hesitate to spend $2000+ on a laptop because of batteries, but the desktop will last YEARS and it makes a ton of sense to spend the extra money and get the Max
Just replace the battery when it needs it. Apple even went back to adhesive pull tabs to make that easier to do.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
"Buyer's Guide" for Mini or Studio? LOL. C'mon. These machines serve totally different markets. No one considering one is considering the other.
At the top and bottom of their range, yes, they are quite different in price and performance.

If you start with a mini and upgrade it to th eM2 Pro and then start adding RAM, the price gets right up there with the low end Studio. It’s a pretty smooth progression so it’s easy to see someone with intermediate range needing to decide between them.

If you checkout the comments here you will see plenty of people who are making exactly that decision, now.

Reactions: davidespinosa

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
So an
M2 Pro Mini 12/19/16, 32 Gb, 1 Tb at $2099
is only $60 cheaper than the
M2 Max Studio 12/38/16, 32 Gb, 1 Tb at $2159.
Around $2000 is a decent position for a medium to long term pc purchase.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Mac mini is capable of handling less-demanding workloads.
Mac Studio is a mid-ranged system that is capable of handling demanding workloads.
Mac Pro is a "no limits" system, capable of handling the most demanding workloads.

But don’t the studio and the pro have the same soc?

Reactions: subi257

patentshark

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2018
In order to make more sense, you really have to compare similar memory and storage configurations:

Mac Mini
  • M2 pro (12 core CPU, 19 Core GPU, 16 core neural engine)
  • 32GB memory
  • 512GB SSD
  • $1999
Mac Studio
  • M2 max (12 core CPU, 30 Core GPU, 16 core neural engine)
  • 32GB memory
  • 512GB SSD
  • $1999
Why would anyone buy a Mac Mini with this configuration instead of the Mac Studio?

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
They do, but when I wrote that 13 months ago, the Mac Pro was expected to have an SoC with core counts equivalent to two Ultra SoCs. ;)
Ha!

I didn’t look at the date of the comment

I assumed I was responding to a comment from a new article

That was foolish of me!

Reactions: freedomlinux

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
In order to make more sense, you really have to compare similar memory and storage configurations:

Mac Mini
  • 32GB memory
  • 512GB SSD
  • $1999
Mac Studio
  • 32GB memory
  • 512GB SSD
  • $1999
Why would anyone buy a Mac Mini with this configuration instead of the Mac Studio?

Makes no sense

now do Mac Pro ;)

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008

Mac Mini
  • 32GB memory
  • 512GB SSD
  • $1999
Mac Studio
  • 32GB memory
  • 512GB SSD
  • $1999
Many would choose the mini as it is physically smaller. Easier to hide behind your monitor. Smaller is also popular with colocation companies as more can fit on a rack shelf.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.