Mac Mini VS Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UnicornsExist, Feb 23, 2011.

1. UnicornsExist macrumors newbie

So, another person asking advice on buying Macs. How original.

I'm not a stranger to Apple products, since I have used them whilst studying at University, in a couple of studios I have worked with and up until a few months ago, I did have an Imac G5 (The Non I-Sight version, and I don't feel like paying the money to get it repaired only to have it break down on me again and again). With my current Windows based Laptop out of warranty and dying a slow and humiliating death, I decided that I wanted to replace my equipment with Apple, since It's more suited for what I need. I am involved in graphic design and Video Editing (And Blogging, but sala-vi), which is what both the now-dying laptop and dead Imac G5 were doing for me (and it was far from perfect).

STORY OVER, real question remains. I was looking at getting a Mac Mini (due to shelf space, or lack of), or one of the new Macbook Pros in order to replace both my old Imac and my dying Laptop. Which one would suit my needs? Either one looks ideal, but I haven't had much experience with either machines (having worked using Imacs and Mac Pros).

Thanks in advance.

2. Annerz macrumors regular

I think you should go with the Macbook Pro. =]

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

It depends what you will be using it for. A Mini would be fine for general email, web, word processing use, but there is a definite difference between the Core2 Duo and i(3/5/7) processors. There are also other power impediments with a Mini vs. a MacBook Pro.

4. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Get a Macbook Pro and a monitor. MBP is powerful and portable. When you need a bigger screen, hook it up to a monitor.

5. stev3n macrumors 6502

I would go with the MacBook Pro. It's a great machine and it will be able to handle all of your graphic design and video editing needs.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well not knowing what of the current MBP's you are thinking of... if it is the 13" then it MIGHT be a wash by going with the current Mac mini. So far I have been happy with my MBA 13" 2010 - though I wish I had held out and ordered the 4gb model (the "ultimates" were not in the stores I visited at the time) for some graphics stuff - but then I am not of deep pockets or doing stuff that the time savings really matters.

Bang for the $ based on current models, I would be looking at the iMac 21.5" if I were in your boat.

But this based on current models. Rumors are that the MBP's are to be updated tomorrow as you may have seen. Based on some of the new tech features being talked about for the MBP's - and if you look at the MR's buyers guide - the rest of the Mac line up are due for updates through the summer.

One of the biggest IMO is Thunderbolt/Light Peak. The new Intel processors are second on my list. Tomorrow will tell us more maybe on the GPU side of the coin - though I doubt that Apple will ever give us the GPU power that the iMac can handle.

Since you are in school right now, and I assume that the semester end is not far off - wait to see what summer brings....

7. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

If you have the money to get a mid-range or higher-end MacBook Pro, then you should buy the entry-level Mac Pro instead, since it is a far more powerful machine. The entry-level quad-core Mac Pro will handle your video editing needs far better than the top-of-the-line MacBook Pro or iMac.

If you're in the market for a good display, check out the HP ZR24w. It is a matte 24" IPS display that is sRGB (i.e., not wide gamut). There are bigger displays out there, but aside from Apple, no one is making a bigger display in sRGB. Most are, unfortunately, wide gamut.

8. MacHamster68, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

dont know your financial situation ,just go for the entry level Macbook if you dont need the performance of the MacBook pro , then you got basically the same hardware as in the mini , but in a laptop which comes with keyboard and trackpad , so if you add price for keyboard and trackpad to the mini the difference is only about £100 to the MacBook
    the MacBookpro with same spec the difference makes £300
    so the MacBook is actually the golden middle way and £300 saving buys you apple care , a far more important upgrade before everything else
    if you need portability get the MacBook , if not get a iMac 21.5 , it cost just a couple quid more then the base MacBook , but comes with a faster processor(3.06) i3 and better GPU and cost the same as the very base MacBookpro , but both MacBook and iMac offer better value for money compared with a mini
    the MacbookPro is for people who have no space for a desktop at all because they travel to often around the world on business trips and spend more time in the office and in hotel rooms then at home

9. mmulin macrumors 6502

MBP 15" or 17" because they have a discrete GPU which the Mini and the MBP13" don't have. But, this is exactly what you need to do some half proper video editing.

10. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I doubt I'll ever buy a desktop machine again.

I am getting a mini, but that's purely for HTPC/server role

Get the MBP