Mac Mini vs. MacBook? (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tomthedude, May 24, 2008.

1. tomthedude macrumors member

tomthedude

Hey guys,
    Been looking to save money for a Mac Mini. Cheap, upgradable RAM, but then I saw the MacBook. What option should I go for?

(Low-End) MacBook:

2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    Combo drive

£699.00

(Low-End) Mac-Mini

1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    80GB hard drive

What do you think? I don't want one that is too expensive, as I wouldnt be able to save up enough money for when I want one (July)

-Tom-

2. 7031 macrumors 6502

Definitely get the Macbook. Trust me, you'll be happier. Just the fact that it's portable is an excuse to get one. Also, the Mac Mini, once you add the price of a keyboard, mouse and screen the Mac Mini is around the same price of a Macbook anyway.

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

As 7301 says, unless you have a keyboard and monitor the Macbook is a better value. It is also a better machine. Upgrades are expected before the back-to-school buying season begins. Check the Apple Store (or Education Store, if you qualify) for refurbished computers.

4. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Macbook will have a higher residual value (sort of relative to it's initial cost) so in the long run it'll be about the same but a much better machine. Keep it clean and nice ( wipe regularly all over with screen wipes) and you'll have no problem selling when you come to upgrade.

If I list the difference you start to see - screen, nice keyb/multi-touch trackpad, more powerful (Penryn C2D), 802.11n wireless, bigger HD, camera/mic & speakers, nice combo drive, will run a second monitor if required (so two screens at once!) and of course has a battery and is portable!

Stick 2 Gig of ram in it from Crucial - only about £60 - don't buy Apple ram - expensive!

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MacBook does not have a multi-touch trackpad.

I also say get the MacBook though - it has EVERYTHING the Mac mini has plus a whole lot more and the portability of it really comes in handy. Mac mini is overpriced in my opinion.

6. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

OK guys, think il save my money for a MacBook. I have 1 question though.

If I want it optimised to perform at its best, and to have 2GB memory, I would have to buy 2 x 1GB stick for each slot, right?
    -Tom-

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

The macbook is all-round better. Yes, you should get 2 matched ram chips. It is upgradeable to 4 gb ram. Although it is not touted to have multi-touch, it does have 2-finger scrolling.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The performance gain from the matched RAM is minimal at best and certainly not something you will notice in day-to-day use.

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I'd buy 1x 2GB RAM for an initial 2.5GB which'll allow you to upgrade to 4GB later on more easily, too.

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I have no idea why people on here keep recommending 4GB RAM - the vast majority of users do not need it and will see no performance gain from having it. Right now I'm sitting with over 1GB of my 2GB RAM free. 4GB is just excessive in my opinion.

To the original poster - what do you plan on using the computer for?

11. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

Oh. Video editing, maybe photo editing (if I can find the time to do-so), making YouTube videos, making Music, Live Streaming, email and chat mainly.
    Does that make any difference to your recommendation?
    -Tom-

12. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

For god's sake, all I did was suggest he buy a 2GB stick so he can upgrade more easily to 4GB in the future should he wish. It wasn't a demand.

Better to have room for another 2GB stick than have to buy and then throw 2x1GB if he wishes to move to 4GB later.

Mac Minis are still on GMA950 graphics, with video+audio production it sounds like you're going to need all the punch you can, so a MacBook running at least 2GB sounds about right for you.

Maybe see if you can even stretch to the 2.4GHz model MacBook with the better processor and 2GB RAM and bigger HD as standard plus DVD burner... though at £829 (if you're not eligible for any discounts) puts it in the iMac price ballpark which, if portability isn't an issue, is a much better option all round.

13. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

Am I legible for any discounts? Educational? Im 14.
    -Tom-

14. Biolizard macrumors 6502

The 'Apple Store for Education' should be applicable to you (on the sidebar on the left in the Apple Store homepage. Gives 8%ish I think off hardware. Unfortunately you won't be able to access the much nicer 'Apple Store for HE' until you hit 18 and attend University if you so choose.

EDIT: Just checked and it's roughly 6% discount, but meh, a discount is a discount. This puts the low end Macbook at £656.83 and the high end white one at £779.03!

15. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

Thanks for showing me! Thats an awesome price!
    -Tom-

16. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Also, sign up to quidco.com and then 2.5% of your purchase is rebatable :D