Mac Mini w OEM SSD - will TRIM be enabled if I add a second SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by seismick, Nov 19, 2014.

1. seismick macrumors member

A question for those of you who are TRIM/SSD experts:

I have a 2012 Mac Mini that was BTO with an SSD. It's running 10.10.1. I'm contemplating adding a second (3rd-party) SSD, but the kext signing issues with TRIM enabler in Yosemite have given me pause. However, from what I gather, TRIM is all-or-nothing (i.e. you can't select which drives receive TRIM commands and which do not). So, if TRIM is already enabled for the OEM SSD, TRIM should also be enabled if I add a second SSD, right? Has anybody tried this?

2. macaron95 macrumors regular

trim will apply on all SSDs the software founds for which it isn't active yet

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It will only be enabled for the Apple OEM SSD.

4. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

I never used the trim enabler. I am using a Samsung SSD in my Macbook Pro for nearly 2 Years now and I never had a problem with it. Is there really a noticeable difference ?

5. seismick thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone actually tried this? To be clear, I am not looking to replace my OEM SSD with a larger one - I simply would like to add a second one in the unoccupied drive bay. I realize that it is possible to install SSDs in Macs without enabling TRIM, but I don't think I'll go to the trouble unless the presence of the OEM SSD "forces" TRIM onto the second drive.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What one SSD can do and has doesn't equate to what the other can do and has. The OEM SSD will not give the non-OEM SSD TRIM.

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

TRIM is not all-or-nothing. It is per-drive.

Ergo, as (most) others have pointed out the OEM SSD has no bearing on an added 3rd-party SSD.

What is all-or-nothing, sort of, is turning off of the kext-signing that is required for Trim Enabler to work.

Michael

8. cinealta macrumors 6502

TRIM is per drive. The Apple OEM SSD will have the necessary Apple drivers to enable TRIM. The other SSD will have a 3rd party driver and not an Apple driver so TRIM will not work automatically. There are workarounds to still using it with a 3rd party SSD and Yosemite.

9. seismick thread starter macrumors member

I was misinformed about the all-or-nothing thing. I'll be sitting tight for now as I'm not interested in disabling kext signing. Thanks to all.