Mac Mini - what options without a new keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pkiula, Dec 30, 2010.

1. pkiula macrumors member

Silly newbie question maybe. My neighbor has bought a Mac Mini today to imitate my setup in the living room (macmini connected to the LCD TV).

Sadly, he forgot to buy a keyboard with it. He does have a mouse.

Now, he tells me that to startup the new macmini he needs a keyboard!

Is it completely impossible to setup a mac mini without a keyboard? Can't some of the main things be done with a mouse only? Or, can we connect his macbook pro in some way and work with that as a keyboard for now?

Thanks for any tips. I suppose my question may be a bit optimistic or hopeful :p

2. Knoodles, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Loan him your keyboard? Or any USB keyboard will work. Does not have to be an Apple keyboard.
    You need a keyboard for obvious reasons. Filling in registration info, setting up an account, entering password etc.

3. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Anyone have any suggestions for a good keyboard for a mac mini? Seems easier just to have an apply keyboard for some of the mac specific functions. Plus, it's for my parents whose keyboard just died so I don't want to make anything confusing for them

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

this ^

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Go to a place that sells used computer stuff, and get one of the older plastic Apple keyboards. They aren't 'current' so should be a good price. But any USB keyboard will work. You might want to remap any Windows keys and paint/felt-marker the Apple specific stuff.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Borrow a keyboard. Or get a cheap $5 usb keyboard.

7. the vj macrumors 6502a

Does someone has to log into the internet to figure out issues likes this?

8. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    ^ thanks for the heads up. I sort of did something like this with their current keyboard which was a bluetooth keyboard - but the older one with the numbers key too. The keyboard is working again, not sure what the issue was. However, I've been wanting to replace it for a while because the right and down cursor keys don't work