Mac Mini: Why the different video ports?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by SnowX, Mar 10, 2009.

1. SnowX macrumors newbie

Just wondering why the Mini DVI Port and Mini DisplayPort? Why not make them both the same? I'm sure there's a technical reason, but I'd like to know.

Thanks!

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

DVI is legacy and does not carry audio.

MDP is newer and has the ability to transmit HD audio (if Apple has implemented it).

3. minik macrumors 65816

I feel like that the Mac mini is marketed as BYODKM and/or Windows switchers. They may not have displayport built-in displays.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple makes big profit on the adapters to convert the video ports on the back of your Mac mini into something more usable.

5. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

They don't have Mini-DVI built in either. Both ways, they will NEED an adapter, unless they get the 24" LED ACD (or presumably any future ACD with Mini-DP built in)

Exactly.
    But that is what is bugging me. Why would APPLE include a port that people might already have an adapter for? That would mean that people could use something they already own. That doesn't sound like Apple to me :rolleyes:.

Perhaps the video card is incapable of running full resolution on what would be 2 mini-displayports? (i.e. it could not run two 30" ACD's) Perhaps that is a reason to use Mini-DVI, so that people don't try to run two huge monitors (since Mini-DVI cannot power anything above 1900x1200 or so...)
    That is the only thing that makes remote sense to me, unless anyone else can shed some light on this?

6. minik macrumors 65816

But but..

In the box

Mac mini
    Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter
    110W power adapter and power cord
    Install/restore DVDs
    Printed and electronic documentation

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Or you could just buy third party cables, like most of us do. My DVI to HDMI cable was $8.

An adapter is in the box. There are also third-party options.

Again, it's in the box.

With the dual-link adapter it will drive a 30" display.

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

The Mini-DVI wont. Mini-DP will.

And I stand corrected on the making people buy it thing, but still, I am surprised that they aren't forcing people to go 100% Mini-DP, more or less because they can...