Mac Mini will not boot

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I have a mid 2011 Mac Mini with 256MB graphic card. Yesterday I kept it on sleep as I had to attend to some urgent work. After one hour I found that there was no display even when I pressed the keyboard. I shut down by pressing the switch at the back and after a few minutes I put it on but still the same problem persisted. I removed the power cable and inserted the same and I powered on the mac mini but with the same result. Whenever the mac mini boots on I hear the musical tone of the booting process but now that musical tone is missing and there is no display. Kindly help to to resolve this issue.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Aussie in Japan
Which Mac OS is installed ?

With the Mac Mini's power cord removed . . wait 5 minutes remove the RAM sticks - clean their RM connection pins with a new eraser. Remove ALL external connection cables except keyboard & mouse.

Now ( read the small black print ) do the "Triple Consecutive NVRAM re-set.
NVRAM_PRAM_ResetMac.jpg

===============================================

It would help if you ( temporarily ) go to your and make a SIGNATURE = All the relevant ino as to how your Mac is setup.

Example
: Below, at the bottom of my post is MY " .SIG " for my Mac Pro.
In your case; how your Mac Mini is set up.

macrumors member SIGNATURE.png

My Mac Mini is a "Late 2012 Core i5 2.5Ghz model with a 500Gb Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD + 16 gb RAM. running Mojave 10.14.6.

You told us very little.

Eg : Are you using a spinner hard drive or an SSD ? Which Mac OS is installed ? etc.
After your current problem is solved you can delete or edit your " .SIG "

Nedstah

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2018
North Carolina
Do you have the 2011 Mac mini with AMD graphics or Intel 3000 integrated graphics? Try both video outputs on your mini. One might be bad. If both don't appear to work, it might be the AMD GPU going bad, which happens a lot. Had a similar situation on a 2011 Mac mini with AMD graphics and was going to "sell for parts only". Opened it up to remove the SSD hard drive and noticed dust and lint. Cleaned the board, fan and vents. Before putting it back together, I got the notion to clean and repaste the heat sinks - two on each side of the board. Put it back together and tried it out. Booted it and display showed up. Thinking of changing the login password to Lazarus ;)

yellowhelicopter

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2020
I have a mid 2011 Mac Mini with 256MB graphic card.
There is chance the video chip desoldered. Known issue of Macs with discrete graphics made in about those years, bad quality leadless solder they used back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.