Mac Mini wireless/airport problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ChickenNoodle24, Sep 12, 2009.

1. ChickenNoodle24 macrumors newbie

Hello, our family recently purchased a mac mini(switching over from PC), but have sadly been unable to use it because it does not fully connect to our wireless network. The strange thing is, is that our laptop(which i'm using right now) connects fine. Also, my brother has a mac book and it works great with our network...even in the exact spot where the mac mini is. For some reason the mac mini might be connected fast enough to load a page(still really slow though) and then all of a sudden will drop to a weak connection that loads a page in a few minutes. Also it will occasionally lose the connection completely and i'll need to try to connect ot it again. My brother's mac book always had a better connection than our laptop did and now i'm really confused on why the mac mini doesn't do the same. I'm new so if you need any information just ask. I called apple support and they basically said that even thought the mac mini and the mac book have the same 802.11n connection it could still be wirleless interference. I don't know if this is in the correct section, but please help us make our transition from PC to Mac a smooth one.

Specs:
    2 GHz intel core duo
    1 GB memory
    OS X 10.5.8
    Belkin Wirelss G router
    Internet Provider: Roadrunner

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Interference is possible, have you tried switching wifi channels?

Other than that, what about file transfers between the Mini and the Macbook? Do they transfer steadily? How about creating a wifi network between the Macs directly, and bypass the router?
    Have you tried an ethernet connection to the router?

These are the basic troubleshooting steps I'd start taking.