Mac Mini with 30" Cinema Display...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by netdog, Aug 22, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It says on the Apple Store site that the Mini will power a 30" ACD. I am wondering if anybody here has any experience doing this. Will it run at full resolution? Will driving such a large display slow down the Mini?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm still reading 1920 x 1200 over DVI in the US and UK.

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

So it will run it at a resolution like a 30" HDTV then?

Running video, I wonder if the faster Mini would drop frames.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Both minis have the same GPU (which isn't all to great) but should power the 30" if the mini link is dual link DVI.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if it's listed on apple's site somewhere, it's definitely a mistake. the maximum resolution supported is 1920 by 1200, too small for a 30" acd.

Attached Files:

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I hear different stories on how a single link DVI port will interact with a monitor that requires a dual link one.

The video card has no impact on video playback for the Mac mini.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Mac mini, new or old cannot run a 30 inch Cinema Display, period.

Now big screen HDTV's that's another story. Should be able to power most if not all HDTV's. Their resolution is no where near the quality of the 30 inch ACD.

jon

8. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Damn. I really don't want to be connecting and unplugging my MBP all the time from the keyboard and display and USB hub, and I don't want some big, honking Mac Pro. Such a powerful beast would really be overkill for me.

9. cruzrojas macrumors member

cruzrojas

Sorry, but you are out off luck, the mac mini can't power the 30 inch cinema display because it lacks the dual link dvi. I have a mac mini G4 and they are great machines, as long as you don't expect them to run HD video flawlessly, FCP or high end video games.

At first I used a 17'' display whit my mini, but then I changed to a 22'' and I did started noticing problems that where not there before having the big screen, basically when playing several videos at the same time, (but this is not a problem if you don't edit videos), or watching a high resolution video full screen on the 1600x1050 resolution. Any other time is a really responsive machine and I had no regrets using it.

10. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I guess what we need is a Mini Pro....just a MBP in a Mini case without the monitor. It really sucks that Apple forces us to use an all-in-one or a big, honking Mac Pro if we want something better than a MacBook in a box.

If I am going to shell out for a 30" display, I don't want the computer built into the case. I want to be able to upgrade my computer but keep the display for many years to come.

11. cruzrojas macrumors member

cruzrojas

Have you considered getting a Dell monitor, they are really nice, and I would be surprised if you can't run a 27'' UltraSharp from Dell whit the mac mini given the low resolution the 27 runs at. And if rumors are true and Leopard is resolution independent, the low resolution won't be a problem.

12. weckart macrumors 68040

I can confirm that Leopard is indeed resolution independent - as long as you are using a CRT screen. Otherwise, don't hold your breath.

13. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Uhm no, Resolution independence means that you can configure your screen to "look" the same regardless of which resolution you're on. Think of something like same-sized text or readable window titles in FCP on displays with a large resolution, you'd basically be getting more crispness without getting sizes too small to use.

What you're thinking about currently exists and has been for the past 15 years :)

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think they call that a macpro.

15. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

No, it'll run it. It just wont run it at it's native resolution...

16. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I know you already have a MacBook Pro, but maybe you could find another one with broken screen and/or super drive cheap on eBay. Then you could just put that in draw with all the wires coming out of the back. With an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, hard drive, dvd burner and all that stuff.
    Or something like that.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Silly Apple for not putting an adequate GPU in a £399 entry level computer to power a professional £1200 display :rolleyes:

How very dare they!

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Indeed. How also really, really silly of Dell to provide an adequate GPU in a £420 entry level computer to power a professional £1200 display :p

19. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I'm not suggesting that a £399 Mini should run this monitor, but they could sure make something a lot smaller than a Mac Pro with 8 drives bays and room for 32GB of RAM and a minimum of 4 cores which are very RAM hungry. For goodness sakes, there is no Mac in a small form that isn't a bottom of the line machine, and there isn't anything between that and a Mac Pro that doesn't force you to buy an attached monitor. Apple is the only major computer company in the world to miss this gap which is surely the core of the market. The Mini hasn't been a hit, though it certainly has its place and I do admire it. That said, I would suggest that a middle-tier headless Mac in a nice small form with plenty of GPU and and Santa Rosa (800 FSB, x3100 minimum) would sell quite well. Such things sell well for everyone else, but we Mac users are forced to buy either an all-in-one or a laptop to get such a machine. Seems silly to me.

20. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I see that the 30" ACD has firewire ports and USB ports. I am wondering if I am missing something. I am hesitant to hook up my MBP because I see attaching firewire, USB, Ethernet and DVI every time I want to "dock" into my home keyboard, mouse, drives, etc., but maybe I've got this wrong.

Does the dual-DVI carry the USB and Firewire feeds to the ACD? This would mean that I could just attached the DVI and ethernet and I'd be ready to go. Is that how it works?

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How dare you sweep in and rain on my parade! :p

netdog, you are right, there should be something other than a Mac Pro able to power a 30". We've been over it time and time again, the idea of a headless iMac where you could change video cards (allowing for a dual link DVI capable one), hard drives easily etc. A lot of people seem to want it, but Apple just aren't up for it. Incredibly arrogant company, sadly.

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

No netdog, you plug everything else in as well.

Just another reason why it's not Pro.

23. Pauly72 macrumors newbie

It's a frustrating situsation. I run a MBP into my 30inch Cinema Display at home but disconnect each day because the MBP would be the first thing to go if I were burgled. So I have to run the LAN cable, DVI and one firewire into the MBP each time I set up. You can buy some third party docking stations but they look untidy against a sweet MBP/30 Inch ACD setup on your desk...

24. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Sorry dude. It just won't work. Don't waste you money. BUT of course if you do buy one and it doesn't work, I'll buy the monitor from you :) ha ha.

The Stig

25. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Mac Mini will drive the 23" ACD (1900 x 1200) .. :)