Resolved Mac mini with AMD graphics HDMI scaling wrong with Windows 7 64 Bits

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by DSpawnZ, Aug 27, 2011.

1. DSpawnZ, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

DSpawnZ macrumors newbie

Hi. I need your help!. Yesterday I've partitioned my hard drive and installed Windows 7 64 and BootCamp 4.
    I have a LG E2350V 23" HDMI/DVI/VGA monitor connected via HDMI.
    Video scaling is wrong. I get a 1920x1080 screen with four 1 inch thick black borders.
    Default AMD driver has no scaling control and I can't install AMD Catalyst Control Center and driver from AMD becase installer says I have unsupported hardware.
    I know that Catalyst Control Center has a scaling option.
    Any one of you had this issue?. Via VGA or DVI I don't have this issue, but I want to use HDMI only.
    Everything works just fine with OS X Lion.

Regards, sorry for my english.

2. stoca01 macrumors newbie

Go to http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst118DriverPreview.aspx
    and install the ATI 11.8 preview drivers.
    Once installed, open the catalyst Control center (you should have a red icon in the notification tray)
    and in one of the settings there is an "overscan" setting.
    you should see a slider, position it to "0%" and you should have full screen.
    For some reason the overscan defaul setting is set at -15%, hence the black bars.
    I spent quite a lot of time on this, mainly because the bootcamp ATI drivers did not have any setting page I could find. I then installed the official 11.7 drivers, but I could not get the Catalist Control Center to show up, not sure why.

Finally after reading forums for hours I gave the 11.8 a try, as it seems there are some improvements (but mostly performances) for the HD 6xxx graphics cards, then finally it worked and i could access the overscan settings.

You may want to try first to see if you have the overscan setting before installing any new drivers.

Hope this helps

----------

Actually, i just checked and the Catalyst 11.8 official drivers are available since 8/21. You may want to try those.
    I did not try it yet.
    --stoca

3. DSpawnZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick response. I'll give it a try this afternoon.

Thanks again.

4. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I had the same thing with the black borders with a 2011 Mini (ATI GPU) running Windows through Bootcamp on my Samsung monitor using HDMI (wow that was a geeky sentence). I switched to DVI and everything was fine.

I also had this exact same thing happen with an older Windows PC with an ATI card connected to this same monitor with HDMI. With that computer, I also ended up using just connecting through DVI with no problem.

Maybe it's an ATI/HDMI issue with certain monitors.

I now have a Mini Server that has the Intel GPU but haven't put Windows on it, and don't really plan to.

5. DSpawnZ thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked!. After installing Catalyst Beta drivers.

Thanks for your help stoca01!.

6. JonBOY26 macrumors newbie

Thanks for that info Stoca!

I just installed a bootcamp version of Windows 7 on a 2011 Mac Mini and am having this problem. I see catalyst 11.9 is now released so I'll give that a go when I get home.

7. BlueResin macrumors newbie

It also works with 32 Windows...

Go to http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...erPreview.aspx
    and install the ATI 11.8 preview drivers.
    Once installed, open the catalyst Control center (you should have a red icon in the notification tray)
    and in one of the settings there is an "overscan" setting.
    you should see a slider, position it to "0%" and you should have full screen.
    For some reason the overscan defaul setting is set at -15%, hence the black bars.

As stated by stoca01, also works with 32 Bit Windows 7 Pro installs. I was a little hesitant to use it, but after trying to track down registry settings, multiple uninstalls and reinstalls.... I finally decided to try the 64 Bit Edition Only (as stated on their website) and it worked. I had to do the search for the overscan feature, but everything worked out.

8. xheathen macrumors 6502

Do you have the option to delete Catalyst completely? I know for a fact the issue is AMD related and directly responsible by the Catalyst control center. On a PC, if you completely delete the Catalyst Control Center after you've installed the drivers, every weird thing like overscan issues disappear.

9. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

i had that same problem once dont remember how i fixed it

10. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

11. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Was wondering the same thing. Both my previous windows 7 and now my windows 8 boot camp partition have black borders around the screen of my Asus 23" monitor connected via HDMI. When I try to download anything from that site it says I don't have the proper graphics supports. I'm on a 2011 mini with AMD graphics card.