Mac Mini with dual monitors help

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jerkstore99, Aug 14, 2013.

1. jerkstore99 macrumors member

I have a mid 2011 Mac Mini and have been using the DVI to HDMI connector for my monitor. I recently got a 2nd monitor and bought a VGA to Mini Displayport connector. I connected the 2nd monitor and nothing happened.

I then tried the same monitor with the same connector on my Macbook Air and the monitor instantly was recognized. So I don't know if there is a problem with the Mac Mini or if I am missing something. I would appreciate anyone's help!

2. omvs macrumors 6502

I've got a 2011 Mac mini (w/ ATI 6630) and used in that configuration in the past. It *should* work.

Just out of curiosity, did you try the MDP->VGA without the first monitor attached? If that doesn't work, i'd suspect a problem with the machine, given the adapter works on your other machine.

Can you do MDP->HDMI or MDP->DVI instead, or is your monitor VGA-only? DVI or HDMI would give you a cleaner signal...

BTW: My mini gets noticeably hotter with 2 monitors attached - I think it pushes the video card into a higher power mode even when idle. Shouldn't be a problem, but you might want to be aware of it.

3. MrGIS macrumors regular

Please detail the resolutions your are trying to display... Any other details would be helpful.

4. SuperPolli macrumors regular

Same Issue

Literally the same scenario. Same machine, same sequence of events. It happened a lot when I first installed the adapter about a year ago. Now it only happens occasionally. I thought it might be a problem with the graphics card. I reported it to Apple but they said it was a unique event and they couldn't help me.

5. sarahcoles macrumors newbie

HDMI cables

I think that the problem must be in the connector which you have used.Use better quality HDMI connector then you may not get any problems.