Mac mini with HD tv as a main computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andyUKr, Mar 29, 2010.

1. andyUKr macrumors member

I have seen a few articles online about hooking up a mac mini to hd tv but to me it seemed that most ppl were doing it to watch movies they have on their mac minis.

would this set up work as one's main computer. i would want to use it for web, email, chats so non heavy stuff. My concern is that some say that this set up is very heavey on the eyes.

Would it be possible to use this set upo for some basic photo editing?
    I am slowly getting into photography and to be honest just waiting for macbook pro refresh to get a bit more bang for my cash.

Any replies would be very much appreciated

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It would work but keep in mind that the resolutions won't be what a typical LCD monitor would be unless you use an app to force a resolution. Even still, this is a doable solution but not for color work. Perhaps it would work but I tried to calibrate a 32" Samsung (not some budget Samsung either) and it wouldn't budge enough. Color was too important to me so I went with another display that was a dedicated computer monitor.

Depending upon the size an LCD TV could be heavy on the eyes. My 47" is my living room TV and I have to sit on my couch to be comfortable. However I sit feet away from a 30" ACD and I'm ok. YMMV

3. andyUKr thread starter macrumors member

it is 37 inch panasonic hdtv bought 1.5 years ago. was mid range then.

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If it's 1080P, the resolution is 1920x1080 so it looks better.

5. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

We have an HP PC hooked up to a 37 inch HDTV and it works pretty well. We have the computer in our bedroom and use it as both a media center and computer monitor. It is hooked up through DVI (the PC has DVI out and the TV happened to have a DVI in) I would have no issues with using it as my regular monitor. We are actually thinking about swapping out the HP for a Mac Mini.

Realize, though that the resolution is only 1920 x 1080, so you do not gain any screen real estate - it just makes everything much bigger. That being said, the text is still not big enough to use it while sitting too far away.

If your looking for one screen to do everything (for watching TV, movies, monitor) I think it works pretty well. If you don't plan on watching TV or movies, then a regular computer monitor is probably the way to go due to higher resolutions...

6. andyUKr thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the comments.

i have decided to order it, hook it up to the tv and if it does not work for me then just go and buy a 22 inch hp monitor.

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Exactly what I did. I bought a Mac Mini intending on using it with my HDTV. The colors just looks ugly and the picture was grainy. So I bought a 20in HP 2009M and I am very happy now.

8. andyUKr thread starter macrumors member

9. andyUKr thread starter macrumors member

does apple tv look better on HDTV as compared to mac mini?
    So if one wants to see his itunes movies on tv, should one go with apple tv rather than a mac mini

sry perhaps a dumb question but have no experience with either ...

10. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I have zero experience with the Apple TV, but they should look the same with the right cables.

11. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

No they do not. Apple TV only support 720P not 1080P

12. andyUKr thread starter macrumors member

so got my mini and loving it. using monoprice dvi+usb cabel to hdmi

took a bit of playing with the settings on both the tv and the mini but now it is looking great.

all general stuff looks fantastic especially movies and videos

you can view your pics on this set up but i think any editing work will def require a separate monitor. i got benq led 24 inch for about 240 quid.

overall very happy.

what is confusing me is my serial number. it is H0014... and so on. it seems to imply that my mac was made in 2000. anyone any ideas?