Mac mini with HDMI shipping already?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andyUKr, Mar 30, 2010.

1. andyUKr macrumors member

My brother just got off the phone with APPLE store guys.

When asked what cables are needed to connect mac mini to HDTV, the apple guy said " just a HDMI cable".

I thought mac minis have DVI and one needs to buy a converter DV to HDMI.

Any thoughts?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Doubt it and if a rep said that then they were misinformed. If the mini with HDMI isn't on their site then you, your brother, or the rep is FOS. Now, they could have meant that you can get a mini display cable to HDMI to connect to a TV. That would be more realistic.

3. andyUKr thread starter macrumors member

so after 2 more calls turned out that HDMI cable = DVI to HDMI converter to which one has to attached HDMI cable

sorry for a false alarm!

4. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

5. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Don't forget the 2nd cable for sound. Apple loves those cable nests.

6. ljova.com macrumors member

just remember not to buy cables at retail stores, but on Amazon.com - HDMI cables cost $35+ at Best Buy, and only about $5-10 (depending on length) on Amazon. I own several cables that I bought on Amazon for a penny (plus the ever confusing shipping cost) and they all work great.

7. jgmacrum macrumors member

Speaking of the converter cables, do any exist which can feed the mac mini sound output into the hdmi plug? In other words, 2 outputs from mac mini leads to 1 HDMI input?

8. niceflip macrumors newbie

Output to HDMI

Check this out>>>KANEX Kanex Mini DisplayPort Adapter to HDMI 1080p Video with Digital Audio (MDPHDMITOS)

There's also one that doesn't have the digital audio but it uses USB to output audio. You'll have to setup your mac to output to USB if you are going to use the device.