Mac Mini with HDMI TV

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Silas1066, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Silas1066 macrumors regular

I was looking to buy a Mac Mini, and I am currently using a 42 inch TV with a HDMI port as a monitor.

Will the mini have any issue with using a HDMI TV for its primary monitor?

2. Narked Diver macrumors regular

Narked Diver

I wouldn't have thought so - I'm using pretty much the same set-up myself but with an 8 year old 42" led TV

My 2012 Mac mini is connected to the TV via hdmi and I'm using a toslink cable to take the audio to my home cinema set-up

Given the age of the TV I can only run the Mac mini at either 720p or 1080i resolution but n more modern TV should be fine with 1080p

One day I'll get to update to a proper av unit and a TV from this decade ;)

3. Robtek70 macrumors newbie

It should work without any problems.

I started using my 2012 Mac Mini with a 27" LG TV using HDMI, not the best quality screen but it worked OK. Later I was given a iiyama 27" monitor and use that via HDMI plus have the 32" LG connected to the Mini-DisplayPort via a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

I have also occasionally use the MM as a media player on my 48" Samsung TV also without any problems.

4. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

No problems at all using my mini connected to my 32" 720p TV with HDMI. I like that the mini uses the TVs speakers for audio with this setup.

5. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

You dont have any font issues with this setup? I just haven't been able to make this work. If its set at 1080p, the font doesnt scale (it's way too small to read at a distance) but if it's set at 720p, the picture gets really fuzzy.

6. drsox, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I always have problems with this, so I stopped using the TV as the "only" video output. What I have found to be ideal though is to use the TV to watch Netflix stuff run from the Mini. I can control the Mini using VNC from an MBA (or iPhone), so I don't have to look at the TV screen's small text. (yes, I know I could use an Apple TV, but it wouldn't work in my config)

7. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

My 2009 Mini is connected to HDMI HD TV 1080 or 720, I can connect via HDMI or PC serial connector as I have both adapters. As the machine is sold old it won't drive sound. I use it mainly for media streaming but currently typing this using the TV, text isn't quite as sharp as a quality monitor but still very doable, note TV is 48-ish inches and 5 years old. If you use a small monitor/tv (say 20-24 inches) the text quality is worse.