Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by percyg23, Oct 21, 2009.

1. percyg23 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I am thinking about buying a couple of mac pretty soon to add to my mac mini 1.83 core 2 duo 2gig. I want to get some advice on set up, I want to get the new mini server, and a 27in iMac, (I'll get the macbook pro later). If I but these two macs can someone tell me how I would get the most out of the server? I have never had a server before but I am thinking that I would be able to have access and control over all of my macs and pc with the mini server? If you need anymore specs please let me know, thanks for reading. :D:D:apple:

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Most people use home servers to store all their music,pics,movies,whatever. Some even host their own websites on there, which brings up an interesting subject...

Is the new mac mini server designed to run 24/7?

3. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Most people don't need the server. Just a regular mini with regular OSX can do the job as a media server. Heck, early versions of OSX Server were just OSX + nice GUI apps for what was already there in the CLI.

You should look at all the features and see if you're really gonna use them. Some are quite useful if you have lots of macs. Like having install images or those colaboration tools. If you have just 2 and they're both your's then you might not get much out of OSX server.

Apple gives trials of it's server OS, you have to find the link on their site. If you can get a free trial I'd try that first. You might find you don't really need/like the server.

If you still want it, go get though :)

4. dyn macrumors 68030

Why not read what OS X Server's features are on the Apple site? They actually list the features why you'd want to get OS X Server. Mind you that running a server is not an easy task, you really need some basic knowledge about stuff even when it's easy to set up. If you don't have such knowledge don't run a server or at least don't let it access the internet. This will prevent other people abusing your server and turning it into spamzilla (isp's don't like this and will terminate their service to you: aka no internet).

Check out the OS X Server page: http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/

5. percyg23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the replies!!! My final setup will be: 1 mac mini 1.83, 1 iMac 27in, 1 macbook polycarb, 1 mac book pro, and my window 7 pc (I built that thing a couple years ago). I have over 11,000 songs and almost as many pics, I wanted to store my movies on one of the mini server hd. I have approximatly 150 movies now that are backed up on my external hd that is connected to my win7 pc. I would like to be able to stream movies and music to any computer in my house. I'm not worried about the music because I can get an express and stream over airtunes. Do you think I can do all of this just running snow leopard on my macs?