Mac Mini with Thunderbolt display vs iMac

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by iMas70, Oct 20, 2016.

  1. iMas70 macrumors 65816

    Sep 4, 2012
    As read on MacRumors -
    Apple is also said to be working on updated iMacs with AMD graphics chips, which could be introduced at the event, and we might possibly see the debut of a rumored 5K Retina display with an integrated GPU.

    I've been holding off on buying a new computer until the next update. It looks like we might have some new products soon so I'm weighing which way I will go. Is it better to connect a Mac Mini to a separate display or go with an iMac? I think one benefit of the Mac Mini is you still have the computer if there is a problem with the monitor. Just connect it to another one. My current Mac Mini is connected to the recently discontinued Thunderbolt display. Any benefit to going with an iMac over this setup?
  2. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816


    Feb 16, 2010
    Dayton, Ohio
    At the moment, rather than concentrate on specific technical issues, I think it is more important to consider what Apple has planned for the entire Mac lineup. In particular, while they have continued to keep the iMac up-to-date with current technology (at least to some extent), they have not updated the Mini since 2014, and that update was rather underwhelming.

    There are rumors that the "Hello Again" event next week might have another iMac update, but nothing at all for the Mini (or the Pro).

    So, if you want a device that Apple will continue to support into the future, your only option may be to choose an iMac. :(
  3. cynics macrumors G4

    Jan 8, 2012

    If you need or just want a 5k display it'll be impossible to get an equally spec'd Mac Mini (assuming such a thing was offered) or even build a PC that is equally spec'd w/ 5k monitor for the same price as just buying a 5k iMac.
  4. grcar Suspended


    Sep 28, 2014
    I agree. iMac is the best way to get a retina display and a fast processor. We bought one recently and it is awesome.
  5. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Sep 4, 2012
    I've been leaning towards an iMac but am doing some more research before I make the final decision. Also waiting for Apple to release an updated version. I'll either sell my current setup or set it up for my kids to use.

Share This Page