Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I need to finally upgrade my old MacBook. But I rarely use a computer so I am looking for an affordable way to go. I’m wondering about a Mac Mini but don’t want a monitor and all that laying around. I’m wondering about using it without a monitor and using my iPad as the display.

Would this be a reasonable option? I’m curious about Universal Control and if that would allow me to do it fairly well.

If I need to I could hook it up to my TV then use the iPad, but I think I’d prefer it not even hooked up to the TV if I didn’t need to. With UC does it work without another monitor? If I had it hooked up to my TV could I operate it with the iPad in another room close by? Any other options/ideas for me?

Thank you for any suggestions or help

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
I need to finally upgrade my old MacBook. But I rarely use a computer so I am looking for an affordable way to go. I’m wondering about a Mac Mini but don’t want a monitor and all that laying around. I’m wondering about using it without a monitor and using my iPad as the display.

Would this be a reasonable option? I’m curious about Universal Control and if that would allow me to do it fairly well.

If I need to I could hook it up to my TV then use the iPad, but I think I’d prefer it not even hooked up to the TV if I didn’t need to. With UC does it work without another monitor? If I had it hooked up to my TV could I operate it with the iPad in another room close by? Any other options/ideas for me?

Thank you for any suggestions or help
Try this article

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Try this article

Thanks. I have seen that before. And while it’s definitely an option I was hoping Apple had created a solution now, without the need for third party software

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
I have my mini attached to a 65 LG OLED. Works nicely. I'm using it as a Plex box, NAS type device that happens to be able to do a lot more. Overkill, but that I what I wanted. I have a cheap ass windows keyboard I use wireless and most of the time the computer just does its thing. If I need to connect I can use my MBP or my TV depending on what is convenient. If my wife is using the MBP I can use the TV with the keyboard. Best of both worlds.

Reactions: appltech

Ashbash75

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2017
I had a mac mini running as a server for a while. I used a dummy hdmi HD display emulator and used VNC on my ipad if I needed to do anything on the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.