Mac mini won't always sleep under Mavericks - iPhoto related?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Donka, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Mac mini won't always sleep under Mavericks - iPhoto related?
    The issue I have the mini is set to sleep after 15 mins of inactivity. I use this as a desktop and Plex Media Server. It can sleep automatically after use without issue for days and then I can come back to it and notice it has not slept since the last time I used it. Once this happens, it won't sleep again under the schedule until I reboot it and then the issue will happen again at some point.
    Using pmset -g it says that Plex Media Server has prevented sleep. The weird thing is, I can go days without this issue and even streaming movies to clients inbetween. The one common thing I have only noticed is it only seems to happen after I have used iPhoto. If I use iPhoto and haven't been using Plex, the sleep issue still happens and when I use the above command, it still reports Plex Media Server as the culprit. I have iPhoto & Aperture turned off in the channels under Plex.
    Has anyone seen similar behaviour or have a solution?

2. TheGraphicMac macrumors member

Plex has a background daemon file that is doing something that prevents the Mac from sleeping, most likely. You can test this by completely removing all signs of Plex from your hard drive and seeing if that fixes the problem. If it does, then you know that Plex is running something in the background that is (probably) connecting to the Internet.

I don't use Plex, so I can't really be of more help. But I can tell you that iPhoto isn't the problem. Once you quit iPhoto, there are no background processes that would prevent the computer from sleeping.

One other thing to check. Many USB devices (usually older ones) that install their own drivers (Logitech mice, etc.) can prevent sleep. Make sure your drivers are updated. And try using the Apple supplied mouse and keyboard to check if that is the problem.

3. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

Thanks for the reply. It may be true with Plex but I do know I used this for months under Mountain Lion without issue. This issue only seems to have surfaced around the time I upgraded to Mavericks. I know a new version of iPhoto was also installed around that time. As I say, I can run for days and not see this issue but recently I have been using iPhoto a lot more regularly and it seems this issue is only happening after I have used iPhoto for example, I never had this issue for a week and then the past three evenings I have been using iPhoto and the Mac has failed to sleep these past 3 nights. It may be a coincidence but its getting to the point where I can pretty much replicate it on demand.