Mac Mini Won't Boot -2002F

ms99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Germany
My mini won't boot.

I bought a new mini in Apr 2017 w/i7 - 16gb ram & 1TB fusion drive

Some time ago I took it to a local Apple repair shop because it would not display on either my 4k monitor or my older DVI monitor. I tried both HDMI connections and the display port - Nothing would display. My older 2011 mini displayed just fine with all the same connections.

The repair shop claimed nothing was wrong and re-flashed my hard drive. However, due to a pressing work project I just pressed on using the 2011 mini and left the new mini on the shelf.

Now after a few months, I tried to fire up my newer mini and - dead.

I get either the spinning globe that ends with a triangle bang and -2002F or the bitten apple with a progress bar that just stalls at a full progress bar for over 20hrs.

I created a recovery USB flash drive with High Sierra and it at least allowed me to select the recovery drive, but that stalls on the bitten Apple and full progress bar. Sat for over 10hrs with no progress.

I have also tried the NVRAM reset and still nothing.

Ideas?

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Do they have Apple Stores where you are?
If so, take it to them, as it's still under warranty.

If the answer to the above is no, what I would try:
1. Create a USB flash drive install drive with LOW Sierra on it (NOT High Sierra). Alternative: use El Capitan instead.
2. Boot the Mini from the flash drive (does it boot? If not, something seriously wrong inside that's probably not "drive related").
3. Erase the internal drive, set it up as HFS+ with journaling enabled.
4. Install a clean copy of Low Sierra onto it.
5. If that boots up... go on from there...

ms99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Germany
Regardless of the boot option I try - local recovery partition, USB flash drive, or internet recovery, it pretty much dies.
With the local options, I get the Apple logo with the progress bar completed and it stops there. Does not move for over 20hrs.
With the internet recovery option, I get the spinning globe for a bit then the triangle ! -2002F message.

I never get to any Apple utility GUI / menu display.

Guessing it is probably toast. So will make an appointment at the nearest Apple repair shop.

Bummer...