Mac mini won't boot after installing SSD

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by qwez, Sep 11, 2012.

1. qwez macrumors newbie

Hi guys :)

So recently i got a new Mac mini, the one with i5 2,5 Ghz and the AMD 6630M graphics. I've been loving it, however i found that the hard drive was a bit too slow for me. :p I decided to buy an SSD, the one I bought is the Intel SSD 330 series, 120 GB. So I installed it following iFixit's instructions. I did it with no problems, however, I was in shock when it didn't boot. :(
    Black screen, no startup chime. Not even a gray screen. Fan is on, as well the LED. Did I just break my mini?! :eek:

I would appreciate your help. :)

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

You have formatted and installed OSX on the SSD, havent you??
    Failing that, check the connections etc again - also check the SSD in another system in case its a dud - unlikely, but you never know!

3. qwez thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I haven't installed OS X on it. I made an Mountain Lion install USB, but it doesn't really help because the mini is not turning on. I have tried putting the old HD back in it, no success. Could there be a possibility that I broke a cable or something? I looked around, the cables look just fine... :confused:

4. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Pull everything out again per he video and make sure your P/S is well connected/seated.

Otherwise, check all connections.

Good luck.

5. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

Time to reverse what you did and get it back to working original condition. Then. Once it's back online and working you can mount the SSD in a USB case, format it and install fresh ML on it or use carbon copy and copy your old hd to the SSD.