Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peroddmund

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Someone unplugged a Mac Mini that was powered ON. When we tried to plug it again, the computer won't turn ON. I have gone through Apples troubleshooting (unplug/plug, wait X seconds, reset SMC etc), but nothing worked. I tried to switch the power supply with another Mac Mini I had, but it still wouldn't turn ON (the other turned ON so the power supply was fine).

So ruling out the power supply, Im pretty sure its not the hard drive, what else could it be? Is it even worth it to try to have it fixed if its something on the mother board?

Kaida

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2016
Singapore
If your power cable is the 3 pin type with a 13-15A fuse, it could be fuse blown.

I would try it with another AC/DC power supply also.

peroddmund

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Is it completely death (no fan or HDD spinning)? If so, it sounds like a logic board issue.
Completely dead, no fan, no spin, no light. I agree, I think the logic board died luckily this was only entry level mac mini, had it been a upgraded model I would be really mad.
[doublepost=1468388986][/doublepost]
If your power cable is the 3 pin type with a 13-15A fuse, it could be fuse blown.

I would try it with another AC/DC power supply also.
Thanks for the reply, its not the type with a fuse, and I have tried 2 cables that I have confirmed is working. I believe the logic board died.

1.5 year old, no apple care, complete loss.

Luckily it was an entry level model. Next time Im getting an expensive upgraded model I'll get apple care as well

Kaida

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2016
Singapore
yes try it with another AC/DC power supply. I recently opened a mini with the cables disintegrated looking like it would short anytime.

mac-mini-power-supply-640x480.jpg

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
1.5 year old, no apple care, complete loss.

Luckily it was an entry level model.

It should last more than a year and a half - although a base unit it is sold at a premium price - to me that premium should mean quality. Apple should guarantee their 'quality' for more than a year.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Someone unplugged a Mac Mini that was powered ON. When we tried to plug it again, the computer won't turn ON. I have gone through Apples troubleshooting (unplug/plug, wait X seconds, reset SMC etc), but nothing worked. I tried to switch the power supply with another Mac Mini I had, but it still wouldn't turn ON (the other turned ON so the power supply was fine).

So ruling out the power supply, Im pretty sure its not the hard drive, what else could it be? Is it even worth it to try to have it fixed if its something on the mother board?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
It does sound like the system board is done in, as you're seeing no activity. Since that appears to be the case, I'd go the extra mile of taking it out, blowing it off with a can of compressed air and removing any additional memory that's been installed (if you have) and try it again. Also try booting it up with no hard drive attached - see what happens (if you get a beep code or other indicator on the screen). Maybe you have a defective drive, drive cable or SATA channel on the sysbrd that's bad.
For it to be failing while being so new, you could have had a defective component from the outset. Could also have dirty power where you are (I have all of my electronics on UPS to provide some filtering).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.