Mac Mini won't wake from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by boynigel, Aug 23, 2015.

1. boynigel macrumors regular

all of a sudden it has been very buggy. won't wake from sleep. only fix is to shut it down and restart. couldn't log into my gmail account. it was as if when i typed my password the wrong characters were going in because i KNOW i was typing it correctly, and i was able to get in on my imac just fine. one time it wouldn't let me put it to sleep. when i went to the apple menu to try, the blue highlight kept jumping around the different drop-down selections erratically. i ran disk doctor which said everything is fine...but it's not. i'm running 10.7.5 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 w/8 GB of ram

2. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

OP here. some other strange things that i forgot to mention above. for some reason every time i restart the computer there is no sound to my speakers because in system preferences it keeps defaulting back to mute. when i visit a website after a second or two, the page jumps half-way down the page. i then grab the scroll bar to scroll back to the top but then it jumps back down. it's almost as if someone has hijacked my computer and messing with me. i tried the SMC reset and that changed nothing. i guess it never hurts to zap the pram. i'll try that next but i doubt it'll change anything.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What keyboard and mouse are you using?
    Are they wireless?
    Try a different, wired (USB) mouse and keyboard.
    I suspect that you may have one or more sticking keys on your keyboard.

What else do you have attached to your mini?
    Do you use any USB 3.0 devices/drives/hubs, etc? Some USB 3.0 devices can cause interference with bluetooth devices, for example.

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Blue highlight in menus jumps around in response to keyboard presses.
    As DeltaMac said, try a different, wired, keyboard.

5. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

i'm using the wired apple keyboard that came with it, along with the same wired mouse for the last two years. all that's plugged into it is a printer and a scanner. they're off 90% of the time and they've been hooked up to the mini since day one.

6. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

i'll try my imac's keyboard just in case there are sticking keys.

7. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

props to DeltaMac. it's my keyboard. swapped it out w/my imac and all is fine. none of the keys look physically stuck so i'm guessing some dirt or a spill may be completing a contact under one of the keys

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can test your keyboard with the Keyboard & Character Viewer - available in your System Preferences/Language & Text pane, then click on the Input Sources tab. Check the box (Keyboard & Character Viewer)
    Then, select the Keyboard Viewer from the flag menu in your menubar. You'll see an on-screen keyboard, which will show you exactly which keys are sticking. I test a keyboard by pressing and releasing each key. You should see each respond as you do that with each key.
    I usually bang on the keys pretty hard. You can sometimes get a sticky key to release (or really stick tight :D )
    (This post is for the OP, who is using OS X Lion. Older or newer systems will have the same keyboard viewer, but will be in different pref panes.)