Mac Mini XP via BootCamp - Blue Screen

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rykket, Aug 18, 2011.

1. rykket macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Mini Server (mid 2010) running client version of Lion. XP Home edition is installed via BootCamp for gaming purposes. I am Currently playing CIV V and have experienced several Blue Screens. The game is running perfectly for a while on medium/low Video settings, then it suddenly shuts down.

I have tried to lower my Video settings for the game, but have experienced Blue Screen even when i run everything on Low (I think it is more frequent when running on higher Settings - but still blue screen).

Have anyone experienced the same problem?

Suggestion to fixes?

I belive the problem started after running alot of Windows XP updates (as my CD was an old retail CD), Can that be the case?

I have also thought about buying Win7 to replace my XP partition. Does anyone have experience with CIV V or gaming in general on a Win7 partition vs a XP partition? I know Win7 can use DirectX10/11 while XP only runs DirectX9- Will the graphics improve running Win7?

2. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I thought Lion does not support XP, I hope someone give some input on this.

3. rykket thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that is true in the sence that the Lion BootCamp only supports Win7. You can still partition your harddisk using bootcamp (skip the download drivers part), install XP on the new partition, use your old SL CD to install the XP Drivers.

I have read several threads about this and it seems like this is working for most people (including me). But the gaming experience might be better with Win7 - I haven't tried, any experiences here?