Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balahir

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2006
Sweden
But a person could connect a external burner if they wanted to right?

Of course. What I meant was that I also have one iMac and one MacBook Pro, both with burners, so I do not need another burner.

By the way, the delivery was very quick. Placed the order Thursday evening, and it was delivered on Monday morning 9.30 AM to my door.

I am very happy with it. It's my new media center running MediaCentral. I try to keep the machine as "clean" as possible. Yesterday evening I streamed a 720p music video. Great picture and sound, no problems.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Of course. What I meant was that I also have one iMac and one MacBook Pro, both with burners, so I do not need another burner.

By the way, the delivery was very quick. Placed the order Thursday evening, and it was delivered on Monday morning 9.30 AM to my door.

I am very happy with it. It's my new media center running MediaCentral. I try to keep the machine as "clean" as possible. Yesterday evening I streamed a 720p music video. Great picture and sound, no problems.

Doesn't the mac mini come with a rewritable dvd drive? So actually I would not have to buy another one right?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Doesn't the mac mini come with a rewritable dvd drive? So actually I would not have to buy another one right?

Depends which model you buy. One does, the other does not.

Apple, for some reason, calls their DVDR's "Superdrive". Without DVDR, drive is called Combo.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Rosetta

Can you share with me the experience using the new Intel Macs with Rosetta for MSOffice, NeoOffice, OpenOffice and PhotoShop CS (version 8)?

balahir

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2006
Sweden
Can you share with me the experience using the new Intel Macs with Rosetta for MSOffice, NeoOffice, OpenOffice and PhotoShop CS (version 8)?

The office apps take a while to open (Word takes approx 10s on my Intel iMac C2D) but once open, they run smoothly.

mickeymouse

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
blackburn lancs, uk
Why bother? I doubt you're doing anything that requires more than 64mb of ram anyway. It's not like you can play 3-d video games so why bother?
before i cam onto full mac well and up todate one i was using osx86 and all the fixings, bells etc, that went with it osx 86, plus the upgrade of my old tangerine imac original, hard disk, ram and firmware to run osx tiger.
must be me thinking of all the ways to get the mac mini to do a bit more for its money.
lol:D

Cave Man

macrumors 604
The office apps take a while to open (Word takes approx 10s on my Intel iMac C2D) but once open, they run smoothly.

Half that time is for Rosetta to start up. If you quit an office app, then relaunch it, your startup time should be 4 or 5 seconds. I'm not sure how long OS X allows Rosetta to run in the background without a non-native task running before it kills it.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Half that time is for Rosetta to start up. If you quit an office app, then relaunch it, your startup time should be 4 or 5 seconds. I'm not sure how long OS X allows Rosetta to run in the background without a non-native task running before it kills it.

Once Leopard ships, I will get a new Mac, but I will not spend the outrageous sums to update my software: MSOffice and PhotoShop CS. I will just run them with Rosetta. That's why I am asking about it. If they run real slow, I would not bother with a new Intel Mac.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Once Leopard ships, I will get a new Mac, but I will not spend the outrageous sums to update my software: MSOffice and PhotoShop CS. I will just run them with Rosetta. That's why I am asking about it. If they run real slow, I would not bother with a new Intel Mac.

They run perfectly fine under Rosetta. Before upgrading to CS3 I used CS. It was faster on my 1.66 gHz CD mini than it was on my G4 iBook and G5 iMac (single cores). It's also non-issue for Office apps - they'll all run fine once you get past the 5 seconds of Rosetta startup.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
They run perfectly fine under Rosetta. Before upgrading to CS3 I used CS. It was faster on my 1.66 gHz CD mini than it was on my G4 iBook and G5 iMac (single cores). It's also non-issue for Office apps - they'll all run fine once you get past the 5 seconds of Rosetta startup.

Thanks for that info. Now I can buy a new Mac with confidence and much anticipation while I wait for Leopard to make my purchase.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I walked into the apple store and asked for the airport card for mac pro. that is what I put in the mini. I have to find the box but that is the card. Nothing special. All apple computers use it. YOu can also use that card in the macbook and macbook pro. Its the same card for all. Yes, you will need the enabler.

This is interesting since Apple claims there is no upgrade path for the mini.

"Separately, Apple this week also informed channel partners that its latest 'refresh' to the Mac mini includes more memory, larger hard drives and Core 2 Duo processors, but otherwise saw no developmental changes from the models introduced a year ago.

The mini, which is believed to be ailing, saw no changes to its Intel GMA 950 graphics controller and AirPort Extreme 802.11 wireless support, which remains limited to just 802.11g.

"Apple does not provide a solution for upgrading the Mac mini to 802.11n," the company said in a separate note to partners."

FatSweatyBlldog

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007

There is no OFFICIAL upgrade path for the mini's wireless card. Just like there is no official upgrade path for the mini's harddrive, processor etc. But, people do it :) If you search the forum's, you can read people's experiences adding the airport extreme card, what it entails, pitfalls, etc.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007

"Separately, Apple this week also informed channel partners that its latest 'refresh' to the Mac mini includes more memory, larger hard drives and Core 2 Duo processors, but otherwise saw no developmental changes from the models introduced a year ago.

The mini, which is believed to be ailing, saw no changes to its Intel GMA 950 graphics controller and AirPort Extreme 802.11 wireless support, which remains limited to just 802.11g.

"Apple does not provide a solution for upgrading the Mac mini to 802.11n," the company said in a separate note to partners."
Does that mean that Apple now officially acknowledges that the Mini can support 3 GB of RAM?

ivc

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
Norway
My Mac mini just shipped!!!

Mac mini 2.0 GHz, 1 GB memory, and 120 GB harddrive. Upgrading the memory to Corsair 2 GB (1x 1024 MB) seperately, maybe upgrade the harddrive to 7200 RPM.

Does it Mac mini, or Mac sold now, come with a Leopard coupon?

ivc

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
No. The 3.3GB limit is the unsupported maximum for Napa, the pre-Santa Rosa platform. Santa Rosa can offically support 4GB. The minis are still Napa.
I wonder why Apple does not offer the option of installing 3 GB when buying the Mini from them.

lowfat

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB, CAN
I sold my PC (3.6GHz E6600, 8800GTS, 4GB ram) and bought a new base Mini and love it. Overall I love it however it runs extremely warm. If i feel under the glass which my mini sits on the glass is a good 40-50C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.