Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by intempo808, Dec 8, 2008.

1. intempo808 macrumors regular

Hey,
    I'm looking into getting a Mac Mini in February (my first ever Mac) and I have a few questions about them:
    1. Can I use my normal keyboard and mouse on them. It's a PS/2 or whatever it is one, wireless. Could i get a converter?
    2. Will Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator work okay on it. I looked up on the website and it said it will, but I'm not 100% convinced.
    3. Will it cope with all the basic stuff like Microsoft Office etc.?
    4. Will my old webcam work on it?
    5. Will it be able to COMPLETELY replace my horrid old PC?
    6. Can I still run XP on it if I really need to under that bootcamp thing?
    7. Will a USB memory stick work for TimeMachine? lol
    8. Are they a good choice for a first time Mac owner?

Thanks for you help guys :D

2. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

1. Can I use my normal keyboard and mouse on them. It's a PS/2 or whatever it is one, wireless. Could i get a converter?
    PS/2 peripherals will not work, USB or Bluetooth only, my friend. That being said, PS/2 is a pretty awful standard by today's systems anyway. Aside from the appalling polling rates, the connection is included more as a legacy option than anything else these days.
    2. Will Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator work okay on it. I looked up on the website and it said it will, but I'm not 100% convinced.
    Yes, if you have a Mac version (and Mac license). If this is your first Mac ever, then you will not have a Mac edition or license - so I'm afraid you'll need to purchase these from Adobe again (because it's wrong to steal software) :).
    3. Will it cope with all the basic stuff like Microsoft Office etc.?
    Easily. I currently run the base-spec Mini and it handles Office 2008 for Mac easily. It runs Tomb Raider Anniversary smoothly (albeit on the lowest settings). Office productivity, iLife and the like will not be a problem, gaming will be. That being said, it is widely speculated that we will have a new Mac mini in January, so it is possible that it will be a pokey little machine too!
    4. Will my old webcam work on it?
    Depends, always best to check the vendor's website for such info.
    5. Will it be able to COMPLETELY replace my horrid old PC?
    Again, it depends. Maybe not on OS X, but you will be able to run XP or Visa (or Linux) through Bootcamp, so technically yes. Anything your old PC can do, theoretically your new Mac mini will be able to do.
    6. Can I still run XP on it if I really need to under that bootcamp thing?
    Yes, all new Macs use Intel processors and can therefoe run Bootcamp.
    7. Will a USB memory stick work for TimeMachine? lol
    Sorry, no. You can use a USB or Firewire drive or Time Capsule, but the rule of thumb is that it will need to be an actual hard disk linked externally. (I say rule of thumb because I have a couple of old USB memory sticks that are recognised by Windows and OS X as being actual hard disks, though they are far too small to be used by Time Machine).
    8. Are they a good choice for a first time Mac owner?
    Mac minis are generally aimed at Mac virgins because you can bring a few of your old PC components with you. They are also extremely versatile machines too that can be used as small-scale home servers, home entertainment systems and the like. Personally, the mini is my favourite of all Macs. I currently have mine hooked up to my 28" HDTV monitor. :)

Enjoy!

3. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

1) You'll need a converter
    2) Yes, i've run it on my mini fine
    3) Yes, i've run it on my mini fine
    4) Possibly, check the manafacturer's website or do a quick google search. Also see if it is supported under maccam
    5) Most likely
    6) Yes, don't think you'll want to/need to though! As long as you have the XP disk, of course...
    7) In theory yes, but you'll need a big one (leopard alone is about 6gb) so you're probably better off getting an external drive.
    8) Absolutley. I had one for a year until i sold it for a macbook because I needed portability. But they're silent, well made and reasonably fast machines for the price - an update is likely before February so you'll get even better specs hopefully.

Hope this helps. Any more questions, just ask!

EDIT: The guy above beat me to it and gave a better answer! :p

4. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Ohh, thanks :D

I have 1 more questions.

I have a 15" screen, will that be a big enough size for it?

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. It isn't really the size of the screen, but the resolution that is important, and you are best off with a screen that supports 800x600 or larger.

TEG

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh... depends on what you deem to be big. It can support up to 1920x1200.

7. munckee macrumors 65816

I recently replaced an older intel mini with an iMac, only to change my mind a few days later. I decided to grab a faster intel mini and sell the iMac and it's been FINE. I do a decent amount of CS3 work on it and it's held up fine. Not FAST, but good enough to encourage me to hold off on spending the extra $$. Really just depends what you need from it...

8. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys :D

Much help.

My screen is currently on 1024 x 768 pixels.

Will this be alright, as it isn't anything fancy like widescreen or anything haha.

9. descartes macrumors 6502

your screen will be fine.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No - give Adobe a call and ask about crossgrade licensing.

11. minicrazy592 macrumors member

Ps

I have a 1.83GHz Mac Mini and PS, and the other creative suite software, it is fine if you don't plan on doing any hardcore stuff. For example, in PS CS3, at 300px/inch, lets say a a letter sized file, it tends to be a bit slow, espically with rendering, then again I'm running a basic Mac Mini with only a gig of ram. Upgrade that's all I can say.

12. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

Mac Mini is greate as a first mac ever :) It's cheap and does pretty much everything. But you need a monitor to use it.. So if you're on the way, you may look at MBs..

13. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The mac mini is an excellent entry-level home grade computer. It will do everything you want it to.

I'd recommend getting an Apple keyboard with your mini, if nothing else. The control, option, and command keys can be awkward when you use a windows keyboard, sometimes. And your fingers will likely appreciate a new ergonomic mouse. The logitech s530 wireless keyboard and mouse set is in the apple store for about $60 usually, but google shows it is $33 at ecost. I used to have that mouse in black with a windows keyboard, it was great.

There is a driver download and a list of webcams that work with the mac here. If yours is listed, great. :) Just download the driver when you get your mac all started and you'll be good to go.

14. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm so sick of Windows now, it's not even funny anymore. It's so stupid, I seem to get viruses for doing nothing.

Thanks again :D

:D

15. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

My bad, I don't actually own any licensed Adobe software so I just took an educated guess based on previous experience :)

Oh and intempo, I cannot recommend the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the mini enough. The freedom of zero cords is fantastic, it frees up a couple of USB ports and wowzers does it look as Apple intended :cool:

16. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, but as things stand at the moment, I will only just have enough for the Mac Mini in February, so I'll either put up with my current mouse and keyboard or buy the wired Apple one's. Tbh, I have wireless at the moment, and I actually hate it lol. Gets through so many batteries!

Thanks though, I'll keep that in mind before I buy! :D

17. ADent macrumors 6502a

15" monitor with Photoshop? Save some money and get a 19" for $149 (or less) think about a 22" or 24".

You PC software will work with BootCamp if you provide the copy of Windows. Even better is VMWare (or Parallels) which for about $40 lets you run Windows and Mac at the same time - you still provide the copy of Windows.

BTW with VMWare you will want a memory upgrade -cheap to do yourself, expensive if Apple does it.

But it is better to acquire Mac versions of Office and Photoshop and such so you can completely avoid the Windows crap.

I personally hate the Apple keyboards and mice and use a Microsoft setup - some MS hardware comes with Mac drivers. But I hear the new Apple flat keyboard does have its supporters.

18. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Sorry for dropping in, but I've just got say as a recent switcher (OK -- 18 months now) that I'd recommend and iMac over a mini. More mem, more storage, more speed. You'll just plain be happier. If you got a used white one off Craigslist or something, it's not much more than a new mini, and you'll have a better experience, IMO.

19. YesMac macrumors newbie

1) Yes you can use most regular keyboard and mouse. A converter might be needed and some keyboards may not work at all.
    2) Yes! In fact I have a two year old Mac Mini and I use Photoshop and Illustrator just fine! You just have to make sure you have enough free hard disk space after all programs are loaded. The only thing it may not do is high end video production. If you plan on doing that you should go with a high-end iMac or better yet a pro.
    3) Yes it will cope with all of that just fine.
    4) Yes your webcam will work fine. I use Apples old webcam and it works fine. Any USB or Firewire webcam should work.
    5) Yes, dump the PC, get the Mini.
    6) I have it running just fine with Bootcamp but haven't put windows through it's full paces yet, since I'm really a mac person I have no need. What I have done in windows it works just like a PC.
    7) Hum.. that I don't know, never tried.
    8) Yes! Mac Mini's are perfect for first time mac users. They are very affordable and can do the job of a first time mac user just fine. I bought mine and I am not sorry I did. My monitor keyboard and mouse for my old G4 20" flat panel (lampshade mac) is in perfect condition and even THAT machine runs PS and Illustrator just fine. The only thing is the processor and video card is outdated and I can't use the monitor with my Mini because it's attached to that metal arm. (maybe there is a way but I haven't figured it out yet) But anyway now that I have a stand alone keyboard and awesome monitor I can upgrade my Mac for $600 instead of $1,000+.

;)