Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wasutton3, Apr 21, 2009.

1. wasutton3 macrumors newbie

I am a college student looking for a small desktop (to use as a remote print, vpn, etc) and i was looking at a mac mini (which my friend got). I was wondering where the best place to find a mac mini would be, ( i was going to slap linux on it so the intel/ppc argument doesnt apply here)
    and on top of that, about how much i would be looking to pay for it. I dont really need the hdd from it, i have a few spares. Thanks for your help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

eBay for second hand minis. G4 minis can be had for $200 but an Intel 1.66GHz Core Duo would be soooo much faster and goes for about $300. A 1.5GHz Core Solo can be upgraded (CPU is socketed) so if you can get one for $40-50 less than a Core Duo, that might be worth thinking about.

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

For $419, you can buy a refurbished last gen Mac mini with one year warranty. I think that is a great price for a nice little machine.

Go to Apple.com, Store, Refurbished Mac.

Good luck.

5. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

micro center has a brand new mini 1.83 c2d for $399 after Instant rebate on their website.

GO LOOK BEFORE IT's GONE

6. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Think about an imac. If you have screen keyboard etc then go with the mini.

7. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Pretty sure he will be running it headless.

8. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Why spend extra on a Mac if you are just going to run Linux on it? I don't know if you need it to be as small as a mini, but you can get a refurbished PC from Tiger Direct for $100 that's not much bigger than the mini.

Edit: Would this be something you'd be looking for? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4514377&CatId=6

9. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Don't bother trying to upgrade the solo to a duo. Those merom processors cost just as much as the mini itself.