Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMiniJim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2023
Olathe, Kansas
I have an M1 Mini AND an M2 Mini (just bought). I have 2 monitors. Is it possible to devise a setup so that BOTH Minis would be able to use BOTH monitors? I am used to using 2 monitors with my iMac (just traded in) and using the 2nd monitor with my M1 Mini....just used a simple HDMI toggle switch. But now I have 2 stand-alone monitors hooked up to 2 Mac minis. I hope I'm making my question clear. Thanks!

MacMiniJim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2023
Olathe, Kansas
I’ve heard of those (kvm), but I didn’t know how they worked. I’ll pick one up and see what I can accomplish. Thanks, Bigwaff!!!! :)

meson

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2014
Provided that each monitor will take 2 or more inputs, you can use the monitor’s controls to choose which input to display. Of course the number of button presses to make that happen on two screens would start to get annoying if you do it multiple times per day.

Another option would be to connect each Mac to one monitor and use universal control to allow one keyboard and mouse/trackpad control both macs. This allows you to use the macs in a complimentary way, but it doesn’t allow you to drag windows from one screen to the next. It’s a cool feature, but does require a slightly different mindset. If you happen to use and like the stage manager feature, you may like this.

AirPlay will allow you to use another mac’s screen as an extended desktop (typical dual monitor setup). The downside is that the resolution is limited to 1080p, and you’ll see some compression artifacts. It works great if the viewing distance is a little further than normal or on smaller screens.

MacMiniJim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2023
Olathe, Kansas
Greetings! I hope this reaches Bigwaff and Meson. You guys know what I discovered, after buying 2 different KVM switches at a cost of ~$150 total? That NO switch is required at all! Both Mac mini computers (M1 and M2) have options to use a nearby monitor as an Extended Display! All you need to do is make sure both computers are ON, and that both monitors are ON. Open System Preferences (M1) or System Settings (M2) and Click on Displays and then click the Add Display or + icon and you can set the other monitor as an Extended Display! It works on both Mac minis. Voila!

Reactions: vagos and fp99

meson

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2014
That’s one way of activating AirPlay between the macs. Glad it’s working out for you.

Reactions: Basic75

tacman7

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2022
I bought a 4x4 HDMI matrix from Amazon for about $75.

I've had cheaper ones but had problem using Mac and pc and TiVo together but this one everything works.

I have a 43" for my main screen, then a 24" and a smaller monitor, so 4 sources and 3 monitors. All TV's except for the little one is IPS. It keeps my brain sharp keeping things straight.

I used the inputs in the TV for while then chose the matrix over suicide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.