Mac mini's memory and snow leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Necro, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Necro macrumors newbie

Alright so I have a mac mini. Runs on tiger. Well a friend bought me the sims 3 for my birthday but comes to found out i need os 10.5 and higher. Well I went out and bought snow leopard since it was cheap and THEN come to find out i need 1 gb ram.

To be honest i know nothing of computers.

so i check the memory and it says 512 mb

is that my ram?

if so are there tiny pieces of ram floating around my computer or do i need to buy another ram card?

really i might take it to the apple store to get it done but i don't feel like spending money on an analysis

thanks in advance

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

what type of mini have you got, running on tiger? open system profiler, it could be a G4 model, which wont support snow leopard, seems weird a intel mini only having 512Mb, even the basic intels shipped with at least 1Gb

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Depends on the mini. At any rate 512MB is your current RAM. If you have an Intel mini then you can upgrade to at least 2GB. If you have a PPC mini, you can't run Snow Leopard anyway so the amount of RAM is moot.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

First year or two of the Intels came with 512MB (2X256MB).

5. Necro thread starter macrumors newbie

i do have an intel =3

so would i have to take it to the apple store to get an upgrade?

6. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

you could if your not very technically minded but it can be done yourself ;)

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Given that you had 512MB originally, I'm guessing you have a Core Solo or Core Duo mini. These can take 2GB max. As BennieBoy says, you can do it yourself but opening up a mini can be a scary proposition for some. The RAM will probably set you back about $40-$50 (2X1GB DDR2-667 SODIMMs).

8. Necro thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd be to scared to do that, specially with scissors o.o but thanks anyways xD

Intel Core Duo

and i called the apple people =3= it willset me back another 30 dollars so about 80 in all.

Thanks for the help both of you ^3^

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If you take it to Apple, and happen to mention that you jumped from Tiger to Snow Leopard on the cheap ($30), they might slap you. ;)

SL Box Set ($169) is what they sell for pre-Leopard licensed Macs.