Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Howdy all!

I need some advice for the mac mini. I'm a school teacher who uses a projector ALOT, almost every class period. For the past 6 years I've used a 500 Mhz Blue iMac. It has served me well. But I'm longing for more.

The mac mini has caught my eye. And before I buy one, I'm trying to make sure the mini will do everything the iMac has been able to do.

My first concern is the mini's ability work with my projector. The iMac has a plug in the back(not sure what it's called, it has screws on both sides), that allows it to connect to my projector. Using the projector with the iMac requires nothing more than connecting with this cord. Turn the projector on and voila.

The mac mini doesn't have this plug though. How will my projector connect to the mini?

My projector also has composite plugs? Would they be usable with the mini?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
The old iMac would have an analog D-SUB connector, the same standard as the projector.

The Mac Mini along with the rest of the Mac range uses the newer digital standard, DVI interface which actually carries both digital AND analog video. In order to connect the Mac Mini to a projector you have 2 choices:

1, Use a DVI to a DSUB adaptor - allowing you to connect to the projectors DSUB input (very similar to what you were doing before)
dvi_to_vga_125.jpg

2, Use a DVI to composite & S-Video adaptor - allowing you to connect to the projectors composite or S-Video input (although you'll need to buy a seperate component or S-Video cable as well)
accessories_dviadapter20060228.jpg

Personal recommendation would be #1 as you are more familiar with this arrangement and the picture quality would be better. Also you will be able to reuse your existing cable between the adaptor and the projector.

L.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
The old iMac would have an analog D-SUB connector, the same standard as the projector.

The Mac Mini along with the rest of the Mac range uses the newer digital standard, DVI interface which actually carries both digital AND analog video. In order to connect the Mac Mini to a projector you have 2 choices:

1, Use a DVI to a DSUB adaptor - allowing you to connect to the projectors DSUB input (very similar to what you were doing before)
dvi_to_vga_125.jpg

2, Use a DVI to composite & S-Video adaptor - allowing you to connect to the projectors composite or S-Video input (although you'll need to buy a seperate component or S-Video cable as well)
accessories_dviadapter20060228.jpg

Personal recommendation would be #1 as you are more familiar with this arrangement and the picture quality would be better. Also you will be able to reuse your existing cable between the adaptor and the projector.

L.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
Howdy all!

I need some advice for the mac mini. I'm a school teacher who uses a projector ALOT, almost every class period. For the past 6 years I've used a 500 Mhz Blue iMac. It has served me well. But I'm longing for more.

The mac mini has caught my eye. And before I buy one, I'm trying to make sure the mini will do everything the iMac has been able to do.

My first concern is the mini's ability work with my projector. The iMac has a plug in the back(not sure what it's called, it has screws on both sides), that allows it to connect to my projector. Using the projector with the iMac requires nothing more than connecting with this cord. Turn the projector on and voila.

The mac mini doesn't have this plug though. How will my projector connect to the mini?

My projector also has composite plugs? Would they be usable with the mini?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Very cool; I am in the exact same position, and was going to ask a similar question. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to use anything other than the bundled adapter.

iAlice

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
Oregon
If I'm not mistaken, the mini comes with a DVI->VGA adapter.

Confirmation:
Yes, the new mac mini I got last week came with a DVI->VGA adapter.

I love my mini, it exceeds my expectations, much faster than my G4 1.67GHz Powerbook!

Have fun,
--Alice in beautiful Portland, OR

thosem

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Annapolis MD
Hdmi?

I'd like to run a projector and a display simultaneously, also.

Newer minis come with a mini-DVI or Thunderbolt connector intended to drive a display, and an HDMI port. Is it possible to drive a standard projector (VGA interface) with the HDMI port? I tried using the supplied HDMI to DVI with a DVI to VGA adapter, but got not recognition of the projector's presence. Should it work?

My projector has an HDMI interface too, so my next gambit is to get an HDMI to HDMI cable and connect directly. Do you think that will work?

Thanks much for any experience with this.
Tom

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Is it possible to drive a standard projector (VGA interface) with the HDMI port? I tried using the supplied HDMI to DVI with a DVI to VGA adapter, but got not recognition of the projector's presence. Should it work?
It's my understanding that that shouldn't work. HDMI is digital, but you're then going to analogue for VGA. DVI (source) to VGA will work because DVI has analogue pins too, but your HDMI source doesn't.

My projector has an HDMI interface too, so my next gambit is to get an HDMI to HDMI cable and connect directly. Do you think that will work?
HDMI to HDMI will work great. Then you can get a mini DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI/VGA for your monitor.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
HDMI to HDMI will give a far clearer picture to your projector, and it supports up to 1920x1080 with a very clean signal.

I haven't tried multiple monitors with a mac and projector yet, but yes you could:

1) Daisy chain another monitor off the projector if it supports as said just above, or

2) Hook up the projector to HDMI and a monitor to the Thunderbolt/MiniDisplayPort with an adapter and mirror. (Similar to how a laptop would connect to a projector and both the screen and the projection are on.

EDIT: Didn't fully read AdrianK's post. He said it all.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for all the replies.

Next question.

Would it be possible to run a projector and a monitor at the same time? Is there a splitter that would run an apple monitor and the projector?

Thanks again.

No need for a splitter. The mini has two ports, so you can run the projector from one and a monitor from the other. You may need an adapter, depending on which input your monitor has, but that's it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.