Mac Monitor vs. Samsung Monitors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MAC-newbe, Dec 5, 2007.

1. MAC-newbe macrumors newbie

Basic Question: Are mac monitors better than top-of-the-line competitor monitors such as a Samsung 226BW?

(note: i do not play video games-just picture editing, internet browsing and watching movies)

I am shopping for my first mac computer and am most persuaded by the iMac mini because I like the idea of having a monitor that is not intergrated with the harddrive, etc. I've also read a lot about people having problems with dead pixles on iMac monitors. By the time it's all said and done, I'm going to end up spending about the same about of money that i would spend on an integrated, all-in-one system: However, i'll be able to get a slightly larger monitor than I can afford if i buy from apple, and i will have the ability to swap monitors. I'm struggling with the decision because I've never actually viewed anything on samsung 226BW, whereas I've been to the the Apple store and played with the iMac. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

2. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

The 23" ACD uses a LG.Philips S-IPS panel. 2 other monitors use that panel as well: Philips 230WP7NS and Hazro HZ23W.

However, if we look at your Samsung example (226BW) there are several panels.

One is used for: Samsung SM225BW, HP w22, Samsung 225BW, Samsung SM226BW and HP w2207

Another is used for: Belinea 2225S1W, Iiyama E2200WS snd the Samsung SM226BW.

Lastly, one is used for: ViewSonic VX2235WM, Mirai DML-522W100, V7 L22WD, Samsung SM226BW, LG M228WA, Cibox C22WQ and the LG 22LS4D.

Bottom line, you'd want to look and compare the panels in the ACD you are looking at and the equivalent top-of-the-line competitor's monitor(s).