Mac MSN Messenger Can't Receive Messages

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spider.Jm, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Spider.Jm macrumors newbie

Long ago (september 07), I got my .mac account all setup and running. I added that email to the .Net Passport no problem and use Microsoft's Mac Messenger.

Just recently I've been getting my problem. Out of about 130 contacts that I have added. Not "one" of them can send me a message... I'm signed in, they can open a window, but after sending a message to me they get this error: "The following could not be delivered to all recipients" And yet, if I send them a message. For about 5 minutes they can successfully reply.

Now I've tried using other computers running XP or Vista and other Macs. Same difference.

I have no firewall enabled.
    Running 10.5.2

Anyone? Anything?
    Im so fed up with Microsoft's tech support.

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

That's very odd. Have you tried other clients like Adium or aMSN?

3. Spider.Jm thread starter macrumors newbie

Certainly have, using adium for now with an older email just to keep in contact

4. thecritix macrumors 6502

I'm having exactly the same problem,
    my setupis a .mac account through either amsn or msn mac.
    I'm running an airport express, when I test the connection in amsn i says i'm behind a firewall or blocked etc...

but i don't know how to open it.

help?!

5. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

If this is a problem with closed ports, then I highly recommend a program called Lighthouse - it works straight away to open the ports that are needed and then closes them when not in use.

Perhaps it's worth a shot? :)

6. kutski macrumors newbie

just found this post cause i have exactly the same problem! started a few days ago!!!

it does it on all my macs, evern my macbook while i'm away, so its not a port problem, or a bad install or anything, i thought i might of accidently blocked everyone some how, but i know i didn't do it myself!!

so it looks like someone has broken something at there end :(

i wish everyone i know would just use aim/ichat and make my life easier :p

7. caretaker22b macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem. it seems that everyone I have read experiencing this problem are using their .mac email address as their user ID.

Try to create a new MSN account or change your nick to see if it solve the problem. I will try later at home and report.

CT

8. Spider.Jm thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah this definitely seems larger than expected. To be honest I'm rather glad I'm not in some isolated problem.

I've exchanged about 7 emails with Windows Live official technical support. And it has been the biggest waist of time ever. First two emails the person assisting me thought I couldn't send anything. And after I replied. "Read my Query Again" they realized what I had said.:mad:

Really hoping its just some flipped switch, that can be flipped back

9. Spider.Jm thread starter macrumors newbie

So I attempted this first early yesterday morning.

.Net Passport Account Services

I first closed my account. and 5minutes later signed up again. To no avail.

I imeadiatley closed it again and made this thread. Now I've just signed it up again...
    and so far... its working. So my suggestion is that you kill your account for almost a day.
    Then sign up again.

10. Spider.Jm thread starter macrumors newbie

So much for that. It's already back to Problem #1:mad:

11. caretaker22b macrumors newbie

the problem for me is fixed. I simply had to switch to hotmail.com in my .net preferences.

sounds like a cheap shot by microsoft to force people to make an account on hotmail.

12. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I use Microsoft Messenger for Mac Version 6.0.3

I use my .Mac e-mail address as my screen name and everything works just fine

13. Spider.Jm thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair enough. But the point is to not flaunt around a hotmail domain name attached to your address.

Greatly enough, Today I get an email survey on how the tech support went. Rated everything 0 :D

14. Spider.Jm thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you done lots of conversing with your contacts?
    Maybes its something thats over now. I'll have to check:(

15. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

16. Spider.Jm thread starter macrumors newbie

17. thecritix macrumors 6502

still having the same problem, also up to date.

I emailed the microsoft tech support, when i tried to reply, I couldn't!!!

There was no way of replying (clicked reply and box came up blank) and they left no message to reply to.

That company is ****. i'm gonna have to go @hotmail i think.. pathetic..

18. Spider.Jm thread starter macrumors newbie

I say we don't give in. Because personally, half the reason I went and paid for .mac was to be able to not flaunt around a "Hotmail" domain in my address.

19. normanstrange macrumors newbie

Arghhhh!

I am having the same problem, and have been for the last week now.
    At first I had no idea what the problem was, then I checked my settings and saw that I had "All Other Users" blocked, so I unblocked it and it started working again for a while.... but then the same thing happened but the settings haven't changed. This is really starting to annoy me. I have been having to use the eBuddy Web Messenger which is alright, but I would much rather be using my Messenger for Mac. I had been trying to search for solutions to this problem and finally came across this thread and I now realise that it's not only me, and there are many other people with the same problem with the same frustration as me.

I also have a .Mac account, which I paid for mainly so I could have a @mac.com email address because I love my MacBook :)
    But if I am unable to use it as my Windows Live ID just because Microsoft want me using their Hotmail (or now "Live" as it is now known) for my Messenger account, I am very unhappy.

Hopefully iChat will one day (soon) be able to work with the Microsoft Windows Live Network. But until this works, I might have to sign up for an @live.com account... If anyone finds a solution for this problem, please post!

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't use hotmail for my msn, nor do i use a .mac. What i do use is a 'blocked' email from my domain. It's been working for years, it's great until you forget your password. LOL - no one can't retrieve lost password, there's no inbox attached tot he email address LOL :)

21. remster45 macrumors newbie

If I started talking about what I really think about Microsoft, I would probably be banned from this forum for my language :apple: LOL.... Anyways, I simply cannot take this any longer. Microsoft fully ALLOWS any e-mail address to work with Messenger as long as it is registered first. I have been using e-mail addresses other than stupid Hotmail for years, such as @rogers.com, etc... so why is it that ONLY @mac.com e-mail addresses don't work? Is Microsoft THAT discriminative to us Mac users? Seems very unprofessional for a large corporation...

Since I absolutely NEED my MSN to be working, I have no choice but to change my e-mail address. But not to Hotmail. Here's something you guys may like. Gmail from Google now offers IMAP with their e-mail service, just like .Mac, so your e-mails are always in sync if you use an e-mail program. It works REALLY well, so that's a good consideration. I have now switched to Gmail as my e-mail provider.

22. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

Gmail is great and all, but you don't have to actually use the email address you create for MSN for proper email. While I do have a hotmail account (dating back to before gmail existed) it doesn't have an inbox on the other side of it. Neither does my AIM account. Nothing stopping you creating an email address just for IM.

On the other hand, the fact that Microsoft seems to have blocked .mac addresses is pretty poor and annoying. :(

23. normanstrange macrumors newbie

I gave in!

I got so annoyed... so I created a new account just for Messenger.

I had previously been waiting for the @live.com addresses to become available anyway, and now that they are I guess I'd might as well use it...

Argh does anyone else get annoyed at accidently clicking dock icons?! I just did it again then! Haha sorry for changing the topic...

24. Spider.Jm thread starter macrumors newbie

well I'm just using my old email. But has anyone heard anything? Or any luck with microsoft's tech support?