Mac Museum on eBay

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by MBP13, Sep 21, 2011.

1. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

2. Marcush1286 macrumors member

Too high for my taste.. though a nice find. Personally, those G3, G4, and G5's can still be put to use even today, so no sense in getting rid of those.. the older ones are classics and that would be worth something. The PowerPC G series are too new to be discarded as of yet or to be called classic.

A G5 Quad for instance can still run most if not all software today just like an intel mac can, but a little slower(assume universal binary) here.. and just because Apple stopped with security updates and Leopard updates for those using intel and PowerPC macs(ones using only Leopard), they are still fine machines and plenty powerful for most people's needs.

I know.. I have 3 PowerPC macs and one Intel Mac + my PC Laptop which has been hackintoshed to run OS X on.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Wow

I wonder how long it took him to collect that lot? The domain name alone would be worth something.

Fortunately, I live in the UK and couldn't get it shipped here.

Oh yeah, I don't have $35000 either:D

4. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

For $35K he should make more of the eBay sale. Feels like he's selling maybe one or two items.

Maybe one day it may be mine up there, not nearly as much so will only charge maybe £10K :D

http://www.mac-collection.co.uk

Flickr pics are more up-to-date

5. Marcush1286 macrumors member

Dude,

Your website is down.. can't access your mac collection to see what you have.

6. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

7. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Yes, it's not the greatest put together auction. It's a nice collection. He has a ton of Mac items, some of them scarce and valuable, yet he has no pictures or almost throw away pictures of them hidden among other items, but has several pics of the same things. His description also isn't very in depth. If I had $35,000, and were thinking about spending that, I would need a lot more information before making a decision.

8. Des Zac macrumors regular

I would cry tears of joy if I had 35,000 dollars to spend period :D

9. gkarris, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Way way overpriced - need to piecemeal it out....

10. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

11. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Well, for such a high price, I'm going to say this guy isn't really ready to sell his collection. Someone (wife perhaps?) is probably pushing him to get rid of it.

12. RichardOwens macrumors member

I once had a friend who had 20 ton, maybe more, of Old Mac Stuff, including a thousand or so computers, books, software you name it was there somewhere, scattered over several locations including a flat where the path in was narrowed by teetering towers of computers.

He passed away and the family asked us to do something with them.

After a less than successful garage sale, an attempt to sell as a batch, resulted in a high ball bid of $2K which scared off the competition.

Finally it was moved on in two stages, Bidder One, $600 to take what they wanted, Bidder Two, Zero dollars had to take everything that was left.

Pre sale testing I found that many items were no-goes, and one area, an old garage was a dump for sus items for repair one of these days.

13. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Working again now!

14. RichardOwens macrumors member

It appears that this person was more of a trader, than a collector. A museum will have documents and a story of the collection and about each item. The sale script shows the seller is more about the money and shows a trait common to traders in the sales script, a lack of regard for the marks, punters, who should be grateful to pay a high price for what appears to be trading stock.

This looks like a collection I saw in past days and these may not have been stored in optimum conditions, if it was in some dusty shed that will not bode well for them being goers.

15. steveca macrumors 6502

dont have 35K but there are some important items over there that by themselves could cost 500 each or more in some cases. there are over 150 computers which makes it 350 each on average...

overall if someone had the money he could (might) be tempted...

16. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

That's insane!! Any really rare computers? If I came upon a mac garage sale I would be ecstatic!! I always look for old Macs when going by garage sales :p

17. RichardOwens macrumors member

A shedload of 72/3/600s, assorted fat macs, odd balls, G3 all in ones, but mostly stuff by the pallet, a few G3s DTs, but no-one wanted the lot.

There were 6 or 7 sales of on average of $100. There was a Black Mac and other bits and pieces, but it was a business not a museum.

Much of the really good stuff was sold via "D" who was close to the owner and a Mac guru.