Mac & Music Heads! Internal/External Sound Mixer Question!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DedOnArrival, May 4, 2011.

1. DedOnArrival macrumors newbie

Calling Mac heads and Music heads!
    Nothing too big..just need some specific and easy info on how to do something.

I am going to be using ustream to broadcast a radio station {seeing in how ustream is free}. I read this article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2055197/step_by_step_instructions_on_starting.html?cat=3 - which states step-by-step what to do to create and get the ball rolling on such a project, but the guy is using a PC. Ugh. Gross.

I currently have a Numark NS7 Dj Turntable system and thought maybe I could hook that up and make it work as a mixer of sorts, but I tested that idea and it did not seem to work out how I thought. Anyone know if I am going to need to buy an external mixer? Is there a Mac program I can download? Any info would help.

Thanks in advance!

2. didii macrumors newbie

First of all: why is a pc gross? Mac OS X is better, but you don't have any simple good software. Only very good professional programs for way too much money...

Anyway:
    Could you please specify a bit more?
    Is it mixing like a dj, with the need of extra sounds or such and mixing several songs in one? Or you need to have a crossover-like thingy to play several songs after each other?

First case: buy an external. Your internal sound card will not be fast enough to process and even if it was, the quality will never be that high.

Second case: Never tried it, I only know Virtual Dj (software) cause some friends use it. But its the most basic you can have.
    Try google Reason. Maybe something you may need.

3. DedOnArrival thread starter macrumors newbie

The PC gross comment was just a joke.

Did you happen to read that article? I know its long...don't really expect you to. But theres a quick part where the dude lists the steps on getting a online radio station started. And he mentions:

5. Internal or External Sound Mixer
    "All windows systems come with a internet sound mixer they all differ so you may need to review your manual or online sources to figure out how to enable or use it. "

So I'm guessing I just simply need a mixer. I was just saying, I thought I could use the NS7 as one but it doesn't work like that. All i need is..so the music I am playing will broadcast for listeners.

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I would not trust any article that talks about an "internet sound mixer".

5. DedOnArrival thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe its a typo...he meant "internal".

6. didii macrumors newbie

Yeah that was a typo.

I read a few lines of the article so I think I know where they want to go with the mixing software.
    The program Djay happens to be a basic program to mix audio and play them next to each other with pitch and tempo synchronization possible.
    Here: http://www.algoriddim.com/djay-mac
    You can download a free demo.
    Virtual Dj also seems to be written for mac. It's freeware for as far as I know.

I'm working on windows now and I can't really find a standard mixing program from Windows itself. Only a small recording one so I don't know what level they're asking of the software.

Oh and if you broadcast other songs than your own beware of Sabam!