Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
I got 0 bites in the software forum, so I thought I'd try my question here...

Bare with me as I only know a little of what I'm talking about

I'm thinking I want to try to make up some mixes of various mp3s (or other format), matching them to a constant beat (and obviously outputting to a file)

Preferably, if it's something that can automate some of it would be great, as I kinda know the concept of what I want, but not the detailed mechanics (obviously from my questions )

Even something that can tell me what the bpm of a track is so I can try to manually adjust would be good.

Does something like what I'm talking about exist?

(Garage Band was mentioned to me, but i don't think it works with mp3s, unless i'm wrong on that)

cheekypaul

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2005
I got 0 bites in the software forum, so I thought I'd try my question here...

Bare with me as I only know a little of what I'm talking about

I'm thinking I want to try to make up some mixes of various mp3s (or other format), matching them to a constant beat (and obviously outputting to a file)

Preferably, if it's something that can automate some of it would be great, as I kinda know the concept of what I want, but not the detailed mechanics (obviously from my questions )

Even something that can tell me what the bpm of a track is so I can try to manually adjust would be good.

Does something like what I'm talking about exist?

(Garage Band was mentioned to me, but i don't think it works with mp3s, unless i'm wrong on that)

hi videobeagle,
what are the other formats, along with mp3, you want to mix?
how long do you intend the mix to be?
how many tracks will you use?
is this a one off, or is it something you want to do regularly/long term?
what kind of music are you wanting to mix?
does the music vary wildly in tempo or are the tracks all of similar tempo?
is this just for fun/self/parties or is it for professional release?
what's your budget?

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
hi videobeagle,

how long do you intend the mix to be?
how many tracks will you use?
what kind of music are you wanting to mix?
does the music vary wildly in tempo or are the tracks all of similar tempo?

Unknown yet, but not really more than 2 at a time. What I'm wanting to do (at least at the moment) is to make a "Stars on 45" like mix which is basicly a medley, but with an underneath rythm track added.

The music used will likely be similar-ish.

what are the other formats, along with mp3, you want to mix?
Likely pure MP3, as I think that's the format of my sources (though I can easily convert).

is this just for fun/self/parties or is it for professional release?
is this a one off, or is it something you want to do regularly/long term?
what's your budget?

Oh just for fun, unless response is so incredible, Jay Z calls me up to hire me to be his new master mixer....so, fun :) and a one off..for now, but if I have fun and like the results, maybe more.

Budgetwise...I'm looking low cost, so a pro DJ system is not what I'm needing. this is just something that came to me as something to try when a song popped up in rotation on my iPod :)

I have Adobe...whatever..(Audition?) that came with my Creative Suite, and while It seems to do what I want, it's missing that "mixing for dummies" level I need. (Like I'll be using that to extract the background ryhthm and making the track from the original Stars on 45 records)

cheekypaul

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2005
Unknown yet, but not really more than 2 at a time. What I'm wanting to do (at least at the moment) is to make a "Stars on 45" like mix which is basicly a medley, but with an underneath rythm track added.

The music used will likely be similar-ish.

Likely pure MP3, as I think that's the format of my sources (though I can easily convert).

Oh just for fun, unless response is so incredible, Jay Z calls me up to hire me to be his new master mixer....so, fun :) and a one off..for now, but if I have fun and like the results, maybe more.

Budgetwise...I'm looking low cost, so a pro DJ system is not what I'm needing. this is just something that came to me as something to try when a song popped up in rotation on my iPod :)

I have Adobe...whatever..(Audition?) that came with my Creative Suite, and while It seems to do what I want, it's missing that "mixing for dummies" level I need. (Like I'll be using that to extract the background ryhthm and making the track from the original Stars on 45 records)

cool.
judging by your answers, it seems you're looking to mash-up, as opposed to dj, am i right?
with that in mind, and the fact that you are a starter, i'd suggest a couple (from dozens) of options.

try a 30-day demo of ABLETON LIVE INTRO (or full version)
https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/
its pretty good at getting the tempo automated. it will also change the pitch/key of tracks very easily.
intro is 79 euros.

another option is DJAY by algoriddim. cheaper, more dj orientated, but has a decent auto tempo built in.
http://www.algoriddim.com/

if you want to mess around for nothing...
try mixxx
http://www.mixxx.org/

or audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

there are lots and lots of options

let us know how you get on and let's hear some of your... oh oh sorry, got jay z on the other line...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
cool.
judging by your answers, it seems you're looking to mash-up, as opposed to dj, am i right?
with that in mind, and the fact that you are a starter, i'd suggest a couple (from dozens) of options.....

Or just try Garage Band. It will do everything you want. At least use that until you run into a problem. Even it you donn't like GB you will learn wht you don't like.

Basically what you do is simply drop the tracks onto a time line. I would make one track per song and then drag them around and cut out parts and stretch the tempos to match

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Or just try Garage Band. It will do everything you want. At least use that until you run into a problem. Even it you donn't like GB you will learn wht you don't like.

Basically what you do is simply drop the tracks onto a time line. I would make one track per song and then drag them around and cut out parts and stretch the tempos to match

But from what I remember, Garage Band can't do MP3's.

Is this not the case?

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Garageband mostly works fine with mp3's. Ive not had any issues, at least. Was there a specific function that you heard Garageband had trouble with, with respect to mp3's?

I would suggest some type of DJ program for the beat matching, since most of them have that feature built in. And they will let you mix the songs together.

However, mixing many layers (especially with your own rhythms) will work better with a DAW type program, which might include Garageband. Garageband has a flexible audio functionality that lets you stretch audio, and that might be useful for you. Some DAW's (e.g. logic, and I think Ableton) have BPM detection tools. Logic and Ableton are both excellent programs.

I'm not sure if a DJ style program or a DAW application will be better for you... I'm kinda leaning towards DAW since you said you wanted to add layers, etc.

Last edited:

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Was there a specific function that you heard Garageband had trouble with, with respect to mp3's?

Actual importing and doing stuff. I would have sworn that I tired it and it didn't work ages ago, but maybe that was a limit on a previous version, or maybe I never did. I've used Garage Band to resequence and mess with midi files, but really didn't think you could import mp3s...appears i was wrong :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.