Mac MYOB - same file type as windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thegurio, Nov 21, 2009.

1. thegurio macrumors newbie

Hi guys, ive searched for it and not been able to find anything so im hoping to get an answer to my question...

I am thinking of making the jump to a mac and wondering if MYOB uses the same file system as it does on the windows version? The reason being is that i have a netbook that runs MYOB (on windows obviously) and the file is stored in the cloud that i also use over another 3 different computers. What i want to know is that if i update the file on the windows netbook when im out and about, can i then come back into the office, load up the mac version of MYOB and print invoices/ change details etc. and it changes the file on all the other computers?

Not really a deal breaker as i can run windows as a VM but i would prefer that if i was going to make the jump to Mac to do it properly...

P.S. The file type in windows is a .dat file, if you want, and i am allowed to, i can post a sample file here (or elsewhere) and see if you can open it on a Mac machine and make changes and then send it back to me and see if i can see/print the changes?

2. thegurio thread starter macrumors newbie

For the small minority of those people who want to know the answer to this question - it's not a .dat file it's a .shi file so therefore they cant be run together...

The good news is that i can run 7 on a VM and then everything will return to normal!

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

MYOB used to be good, but now they have been taken over by Mamut Software, I wouldn't be too confident of their survival. I've switched to instantAdmin.

4. thegurio thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe that its only for UK people - i will download it and try but i think thats the case...

5. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

MYOB works very well for us, but I don't like the periodic file confirmation to keep it working. If it becomes unsupported, where will that leave users? We're using the 2005 version and we've never been contacted about any upgrades. The toast people spam me on a weekly basis!

6. thegurio thread starter macrumors newbie

I think until it has been put down in writing there is nothing to worry about - as it stands now it's only a rumour so I'd sit tight and wait till something official comes out.