Mac N00b with AP Extreme question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MTShipp, Apr 18, 2009.

1. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I am receiving my first Mac Monday. I bought an Airport Extreme 1 GB.

The internal drive is able to be seen and mapped by a Windows computer.

I have an external USB 350 GB drive that I connected. I went into the utility and configured it for sharing but I can not connect to it. I enabled file sharing, chose disk password, set it, and after updating the internal is accessible but the external is not seen by my Windows computer. The external is viewable within the Disks area of the utility.

Help a n00b please.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You say that that maps fine on your Windows machine and then you say it doesnt?

Well what file format is the USB hard drive in? NTFS? Make sure the drive is in HFS+ or FAT32 format so that you can see it and use it on your mac.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

If you have been using this external drive on your windows computer, it is formatted as either NTFS or FAT32, the time capsule can not read these formats.
    assuming you mean time capsule by "Airport Extreme 1 GB", but this applies to either time capsule or airport extreme.

you would have to back everything up off of the drive, and reformat it to use it connected to your time capsule.

Also if formatted NTFS, when plugged directly into your new mac, you will not be able to write to the drive, only read. without extra software on the mac
    If formatted FAT32, you will be able to read and write to the drive from the mac.

check out this article to see how to be able to write to an NTFS drive.

4. MTShipp thread starter macrumors 6502a