Price Advice Mac N00bie - few questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joegarside90, Nov 9, 2011.

1. joegarside90 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Up until recently, thanks to the local apple store, I have been really interested in getting a Mac. Have never owned a Mac before and have been an Apple disliker for years (Shame on me!) but just playing with the MacBook Pro in the store, it just felt so easy to use!

Anyway, a friend has offered me a MacBook with the Unibody Aluminum casing which be brought new back in 2010 apparently. With the Intel 2.4ghz Core Duo and 2gb Ram and Lion (Latest OS? :confused:) with all boxes manuals and charger, including a black case (worth £50 apparently) and a mighty mouse. All for £600

Sounds like a good deal to me, but as a Mac n00b, I wanted to get your opinions?

I look at the ram being quite low but understand with a Bios upgrade and when coupled with Lion, it can take up to 8Gb?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated :)

2. Since OS-6 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just checked the Apple UK site, and with the cheapest MacBook starting at all but a grand, my opinion would be that this seems like a good way for you to test the waters. To see if you & Mac like each other as much as you hope you do !

If by some strange twist you don't like it, you've only blown 600 pounds, not a whole lot more.

But, I think you are right to be concerned if it really only has 2Gb of RAM. Price what some more RAM ( installed ) would set you back, before you say no or yes.

Steve.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Here's the thread talking about the firmware update so you can use 8GB RAM. :)

4. joegarside90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies both of you, will have to look a little more into this firmware upgrade as I would prefer 4gb ram or more really (Although osx may not be as resource hungry as Windows is? ;) )

The friend who's selling has offered me a 'trial' week. So I can take it home and just see how it get on with it really (Coming from using Windows as my main operating system and using Linux and Unix a fair bit, I want to make sure I get on with osx, if that doesn't sound too silly! :eek:)

Would really like a new MacBook Pro but the pricetag coupled my relative low wage makes for a rather long wait time till I can afford one. So I think the MacBook would be the best compromise!

5. luke.mac1 macrumors member

6. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Is it still under AC? (Apple Care). I bought my mid 2010 White Macbook for 650 (US) (included a few nice additions) and it had a month left on the first year. I extended it another two years.

Now, that's the only way I'll buy an Apple product (computer system). If I can't get it extended, I will wait and look for one that can be or transfered.

Sounds like a great deal though. Good luck.

7. joegarside90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Luke, website is being dead slow from my Works internet so will take a look when I get home. If I was to get it, defiantly will look into upgrading the ram :)

I have just asked my friend who's selling it to see if it still has AC cover. So I assume once AC has ran out, its no longer possible to retake out cover for it?

My friend has given me the MacBook to take home and use for a week while he's away, in great condition other than its filthy :D So at least it gives me a bit of time to see if osx is for me?! :p