Mac Nano and MacBook Nano in the works?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by wrldwzrd89, Sep 30, 2007.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

MacOSRumors is reporting that Apple has plans to release a ultra-thin MacBook, branded the MacBook Nano, along with a Mac Nano that will replace the Mac mini.

MacOSRumors has not been particularly accurate in the past, but the rumor is interesting nonetheless, since there is support for the MacBook Nano from other sources.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I don't see why the mini needs to be smaller than it already is. It needs to be cheaper and/or better spec'd.

3. Muzzway macrumors regular

Agreed. I really don't care if the mini gets 25% smaller.

4. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yeah, I have to agree with you there... the only reason I think Apple wants to do it is to create synergy between their portable Mac, desktop Mac, and iPod lines.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think I'll have to get me one of these, as long as the price point stays the same :)
    Bring on the Mac Nano!

Wait... 2nd thought. Why not keep the Mac Mini, add a macbook mini, and reintroduce an iPod Mini. the iPod Mini was nicer then the Nano anyway..

6. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

A "Mac Nano" would make no sense unless they wanted to keep the Mini in production too, which would be a bit pointless. So at best this would be a new version of the Mini. Why rename it?

7. MLeepson macrumors 6502

A while ago I was thinking the idea of a Mac Nano. I have the reasons why Apple could make one here.

I think there's been a demand for an ultra-thin laptop and Apple needs to hop on the bandwagon. Also a smaller Mac Mini would be nice.

8. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

"Why rename it?"

Tons of positive marketing mojo associated with "Nano" for Apple. TONS of current happy iPod Nano owners on their last thread of patience with Windows. Tons of current Apple marketing spend on the Nano sub-brand...

9. gutb macrumors newbie

lol, since the word "mini" is not cool enough, they killed it, and used "nano".
    And since Ipod nano is a cool name,
    iphone nano, apple tv nano, macbook nano, mac pro nano, mac nano, mighty mouse nano, apple express nano, apple keyboard nano, cinema display nano (5 inch display for professionals needing portability), Apple HiFi nano, ipod nano shuffle, ipod double nano, and of course, our famous apple newton nano are all in works, expect them to come out next year :):D

jk

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

the only reason i see this happening is if they really ramp up the current mini - 3.5 hard drive, real graphics, and 4GB of RAM

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

So it'll be smaller than its power supply.

Plus, if it's made from laptop parts, why not use a MacBook adapter instead?

Hey, they can go to flash memory!

12. theman macrumors 6502a

I don't care if it's smaller. It could even be bigger! If they can make a mini computer that has a 2.8 ghz core 2 duo, geforce 9xxx graphics, 4gb ram and 300gb storage, i would go for it, even if it was slightly larger than the current mini.

13. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I'm happy to finally hear a rumor about a Mini replacement. I've been planning to get one as a media PC when Leopard is released. This gives me something to look forward to. I don't particularly care what they do to it, I'll get one.

I personally hope they support 3.5" drives so that I can get a huge drive for the media PC.