Mac-native Cocoa dreamweaver alternative?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by hyeok, Jun 24, 2008.

1. hyeok macrumors member

I'm trying to find a dreamweaver alternative, preferably a Cocoa app, because Adobe products are bloated. Like Dreamweaver, the program needs to allow me to edit both the HTML code directly and also allow me to edit the preview of the webpage (and have tools like tables, frames, etc..)

I've checked out programs like Coda or Taco, but they only allow you to edit the HTML code, but don't allow you to edit the preview of the webpage directly.

I've also check out programs like Sandvox, Rapidweaver, Freeway, and Flux, but they don't allow you to edit the HTML code directly.

The only alternative to Dreamweaver that comes close is Kompozer, but its not a Cocoa app and is very slow and not mac-like at all.

Any ideas?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You look like you've found most of the options already. There is another program like Dreamweaver, which I think has a Mac version, but I can't remember its name.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Kompozer was going to be my suggestion, but you already checked that out. I came to same conclusion as you, but I'm more comfortable with straight up raw code so I get by. I'm sure we'll eventually get more options.

4. MrMaxy macrumors newbie

You guys are really "working" with this Kompozer???? :eek:
    I mean, I'm not a well experienced HTML programmer and I'm doing it more or less for a hobby, but Kompozer is crap, in my eyes!
    But you are right, there is pretty much not really a good HTML program for the Mac.
    This is one of the reasons for me having Windows installed in Parallels, so I can use Evrsoft's First Page. It really satisfies my needs and beyond.

5. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

No good html program for the mac? So many would disagree with you. There may not be a "good" wysiwyg, but categorically saying everything that is available is not good is a gross overstatement.

6. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Coda does allow you to preview the page, with any browser installed on you Mac. Do you mean you want a "WYSIWYG" application?

7. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

That is what they are saying.

8. mt-escaper macrumors newbie

disclaimer: I am involved in the development of Flux.

Just to let you know, Flux does allow editing of the underlying XHTML code, maybe not as fluidly as a dedicated text editor like TextMate, but for most people, it's probably good enough.

Cheers!

MT

9. MrMaxy macrumors newbie

I don't think so!
    Be honest, what is the result of this tread so far? Is there any HTML editor mentioned that really works for the Mac? I can't see any favorite here!
    Compared with the free version of the a.m. First Page, there is nothing similar for the Mac.

10. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

:eek: You think first page is a easy alternative to Dreamweaver. wow no way i'll stick to Taco, novices are better served with Dreamweaver that first page looks like a mess.

[​IMG]

11. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I hear ya on only liking Coca apps.

When I upgraded to Mac OS X (from System 9) I couldn't find a good WYSIWYG+Markup editor either so I forced myself to code entirely by hand, and that ended up being a very good thing and not that hard to get used to.

(These days I use TextMate exclusively.)

12. MrMaxy macrumors newbie

Ok, I have to admit, Dreamweaver is a very good editor, one of the best, but unfortunately not for free. The stuff you get with First Page, and I'm not talking about the pro version of it, is enough for beginners. By the way, your screen shot shows the "Hardcore" mode, definitely for the experts.
    But if you switch over to the "Easy" or "Normal" mode, the oversight is much better and there are still enough functions for beginners.

13. MojoWill macrumors 6502

I find Dreamweaver to be GREAT!

I spend nearly 8 hours every day on it and love it! Code view or in design view you cant go wrong set upa testing server in MAMP and your away!

14. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

My point was that he categorically said their are no good html editors for the mac. Many here who make their livelihood in html would say Coda, TextMate, TextWrangler, BBEdit, etc... and even Dreamweaver are great Mac html editors. We love coding in these programs. And I don't think most web devs won't bemoan the lack of a 'good' wysiwyg.

15. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Coda, CSS Edit, Dreamweaver, Rapidweaver.... I use them all and I cope ok.

So am I missing something :confused:

16. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

Old thread, I know. I wanted to throw one out there that wasn't listed yet.

Adobe Contribute. It's a bit high $ for home use ($169US retail), but it's easy to use for editing files. Downside is creating a new page is a pain (not sure why).

I'm still looking for something like Kompozer, but I would like it to support sftp and/or webdavs/secure webdav/https/webdav with ssl.

Contribute seems the best for me (novice, personal use for family site), but the price and difficulty with making new pages is the deal breaker.

17. zunpara macrumors newbie

zunpara

What about apple's own dashcode I know its for web apps, but using it with iWeb (as a data source) you can make it do almost anything that these other applications can.

18. SailorTom macrumors regular

AFAIK Kompozer is the only open source WYSIWYG app available. When this thread was started the development on it had stopped, as it was pretty useless. It's being actively developed by a few people again now and is getting much better. It is still beta software so has some bugs, but for the most part works well.

For my part, yes it's not mac-like, but I manage fine with it. Some of the mac apps i've tried using are more difficult. Admittedly I use textwrangler for most stuff atm, but then i'm editing wordpress themes.

Have a go with kompozer, and contribute to development if you can.

19. memco macrumors 6502

You could look at getting Textmate/ along with the Green Moleskine Mod. This will give you the ability to do live editing on the preview window in Textmate. Textmate is a very powerful editor that comes with many plugins to get it to do just about everything.