mac need backup when creating windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cobby174, May 14, 2008.

1. cobby174 macrumors newbie

I was wondering I have a macbook pro ..., and bootcamp, and one whole mac drive 109 GB. I have about 50 GB free.

If i decide to split about 8 GB of a FAT32 system, a windows operating system can I just do it without touching or harming the files on my Mac?

When I tried bootcamp to split the partition, it seems like I had to backup all my mac programs, and that it would 'clean up' my Mac HD side, and then create a windows OS.

Thanks,

cobby

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Backing up is always a good idea but bootcamp will not reformat your mac partition. If it can't successfully repartition your drive without reformatting it it will not do anything (or it will kernel panic on you, either way it won't result in lost data).

3. macdot macrumors 6502

4. cobby174 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys :D

I'll back up my stuff and do it =D...

My friend was saying something about how there was a chance it could affect some programs because unlike say a USB stick, where data is written from left to right (on those drive bars with blue lines) in a nice order, data is written everywhere and so when partitioning out, the disk won't pick out all the empty white 'slots', but just take out a block of a randomly written over disk that might have a chance of taking out bits of support data etc...

But I'm sure nothing bad will happen >>

Thanks!

Cooby

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Any media can become fragmented, it isn't just a hard drive phenomenon.