Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xander206

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Hey, need to load up my itunes on a new computer from an old HD. how do i make iTunes recognize the "organized" file, and library without draggin them all into itunes. already tried the advanced preference couldnt find anything, important for my work.... answer in the next 20 min?

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Hey, need to load up my itunes on a new computer from an old HD. how do i make iTunes recognize the "organized" file, and library without draggin them all into itunes. already tried the advanced preference couldnt find anything, important for my work.... answer in the next 20 min?

oh i would say find the old itunes music folder and put it into your current music / itunes folder

if itunes doesn't recognize it automatically, you may be able to control click the itunes icon to open it up. itunes will present you with a dialog box.

sorry i cant be of more help, i'm not at a mac and it's not all coming back to me at the moment. but that should be a good start.

applehero

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
29º 25' 26"N, 95º 29' 36"W
Have you tried importing? I'm not sure as to the circumstances here, but iTunes has the ability to backup and restore, you can export your library as an .XML, or you should be able to redirect your iTunes folder within the Advanced section of the preferences.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
preferences>Advanced>iTunes Music Folder Location and point it to the external if you're not going to copy it over.

you should put the library files on the local drive though.

xander206

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
uh oh

so i successfully got all the songs in the window, but itunes is asking me to locate the file each time, now what do i do... im in distress :eek:

NoOneButMe

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2006
~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music and ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml are your library files.. Try just copying that over to the new computer in the same location?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.