Mac NetBoot stuck on flashling globe

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dogger20011, Aug 21, 2014.

1. dogger20011 macrumors newbie

My school gives out MacBook Airs to students to use for the year, and I always like to "tinker" with mine and see what I can and can't get around. Well this year, I made my account a Admin account and played around with things, and accidentally set the boot disk to a network drive at school. Now when I try to boo the machine, it blinks with a globe, that even after hours, never ends. Also, theres a firmware password on it, so I can't hold down the option key to select the boot drive. What can I do? Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Make a Netboot server with a Netboot image that is compatible with that machine and has an admin account on it so that you can set it back.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Take it back to school and have their computer admin set the startup disk back as it should be.

4. dogger20011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I be able to do this on a window machine? I don't have any other Mac's around. But thanks for your reply!

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but it involves lots of work. Best to let the college computer techs correct the problem.

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Unfortunately the school will more than likely take the computer away from you as you probably broke a rule they may have for doing what you have done. In your own words you like to "tinker" with property that isn't yours. I agree with others, take it back and hope they can fix it and give it back to you. Best of luck.