Mac networking help needed!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SaMDa, May 14, 2007.

1. SaMDa macrumors newbie

Hello all.....First of let me start by saying that I am new to the Mac world and have to pick it up fast. My issue is that I have a room of 25 Macs, OS X 10.4, that need to be re-bound to the AD domain every morning!!!

I have not actually been on location yet, start this Sys Admin job this Wed, but I do want to start looking for a solution. I can get any more details that you may need. Any help solving this issue or giving me an idea where I can find answer will be greatly appreciated. Again, please ask if you any other details and I will get them.

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

When you say re-bound to the AD domain, do you mean a script is doing this?

In most of the documentation I've read, OD Binding has just been used between an OD master and replicas.....

Though, I am in the process of trying to create a OD that allows clients to log in to their LDAP profiles regardless of being on the intranet or not, through a "shared" OD model that the Apple documentation talks about.

3. SaMDa thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply....

no it is not a script.....they have to manually bind each Mac via the directory services on the local machine every morning. this started to happen after day light savings.........it might be that the times on the workstation and the DC are not syncing up. as i said tomorrow will be my first day....so i can gather more details by looking at the current setup and debriefing with the temps. so if need me i will post a new thread......

but regarding ur project...that is interesting.....i think u mean OU, not OD, as in organization unit. it does sound interesting however.....

4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

5. SaMDa thread starter macrumors newbie

ohh.....open directory.....Mac's directory structure....I see. Time server, that is one possible avenue that I'm looking at. Thing is, they use Apple's built in plug-in for active directory support, so we do not have a Mac server. I'm thinking of getting an apple server or implementing ADmit Mac.

What do you thing of ADmitMac, any complains, it will give exactly what we need to maintain one Mac lab with about 20 Macs. Without having to deploy a server, and configuring it into AD.

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

AdmitMac?

I'm just looking at the software website and I think it's just selling you what you already have, since OS X Tiger already has a plugin for Active Directory.

7. SaMDa thread starter macrumors newbie

it also has other features not available via the apple plug-in such as:

ADmitMac fully supports Kerberos under Active Directory as well as signed LDAP and SMB communication and NT LAN Manager, enabling much tighter security with Windows 2003 Server. As such, it doesn't require you to lower the default security settings of Windows 2003 Server. Apple's solutions require unsigned LDAP and SMB communication.

and

ADmit Mac supports the Windows Distributed File System and long share names, and provides additional options for browsing a Windows Server network for shares and printers

and

offers an Active Directory management console for Mac OS X that allows administrators to reset user passwords, move users and computers and create or modify existing accounts

and

ADmitMac supports an Apple-managed client environment. Like group policies in Active Directory, Mac OS X's managed client environment -- sometimes referred to as MCX -- allows administrators to restrict access to Mac OS X system components and to create a highly customized user experience

It sounds as if this is a solution, if we do not want to implement an OS X Server. Since I an new to Macs, I do not know how difficult it is to implement one. I will have to read up on that and decide what we will be better off with . Any suggestions to where i can get an idea of implementing an OS X server? Thanks for your input.

8. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

9. SaMDa thread starter macrumors newbie

will do.....thanks for all of ur input.....i have alot of reading to do.....lol

10. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

My only suggestion is try that little black book. It breaks everything down into specific services (file sharing, directory, network services) and gives "in-the-trenches" examples. It's a good quick reference if you already get the concepts behind servers and the specific server duties.