mac networking with pcs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fallacy, Sep 29, 2008.

1. fallacy macrumors member

Hello,

I have in the past been able to see my network of pcs through the network icon found in the finder, however I've noticed that it's always a hit and miss sort of thing. Sometimes, I can see the network name with no issues, other times I have to navigate to and from the network before anything appears.

Any ideas? I would think that if I'm checking the network I should be able to see it without any issues. Now all i'm seeing is "applications, library, and users".

thx.

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Are the pc computers in a workgroup named workgroup? I'm assuming you don't have a Windows domain controller set up?

You can change the name of the workgroup that your Mac is in - especially if the pc computers are in a workgroup other than one named "workgroup" - which could help things. (you probably want all the computers in the same workgroup based on what you describe)

There's something called the "Computer Browser Service" on Windows computers that's somewhat complex. It's what makes the list of available servers visible to interfaces like Finder. It can be finicky at times and cause inconsistent behavior like what you're seeing.

3. kevhui macrumors regular

4. kevhui macrumors regular

I used System Preferences -> Network -> WINS and specified the name WORKGROUP, but still doesn't work :-(

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If they are XP machines there is a good chance that they are defaulted as MSHOME rather than WORKGROUP. Its strange that this default bounced back and forth. I guess MS wanted to make setting up networks a more confusing task for people.

You can also check the PC's in Control Panel > System > Computer Name and look at the workgroup name.

6. kevhui macrumors regular

I checked the name is WORKGROUP.

I even changed to MSHOME (on both machines) but still no luck:mad:

7. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

ok, I think it works now, but the way i got it to come up is strange. I had to authenticate to my mac over my network through my xp machine first before I was able to see the network through Finder.

That's retarded. There's gotta be a better way to do it.