Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motomullet

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
I am having a problem getting both of my macs to see each other.

I have a macbook and a G4 Mini, both connected to a linksys router over wireless. I can't seem to get them to communicate in order to share files. Internet works fine on both.

Now if I connect the macbook to the router with a cable, file sharing magically works. Haven't tried connecting the mini with a cable, so I don't know if that has any effect.

Do I need to open some ports on the router?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm not sure what is causing your problem, My only suggestion would be to look to make sure that file sharing is turned on on the computer that you want to connect to.

motomullet

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
I'm only using personal file sharing and not windows sharing. Using connect to server gives me the "The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again" error message after a long wait. This is getting very frustrating!!!

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm only using personal file sharing and not windows sharing. Using connect to server gives me the "The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again" error message after a long wait. This is getting very frustrating!!!

Some wireless routers have a wireless isolation mode which doesn't let one host see another host even if they are on the same sub-net.

motomullet

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Some wireless routers have a wireless isolation mode which doesn't let one host see another host even if they are on the same sub-net.

Turns out this is what was causing the problem. Turned AP Isolation off in the advanced wireless settings and it works like a charm now!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.