Mac newb hard drive question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Erik-604, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Erik-604 macrumors newbie

I just recently cleaned out everything not needed off my 2011 13 inch mbp. When I go to activity monitor I get 299.57 gb free but when I open finder and I-Stat I have 299.31 gb free. I know its nothing big but wondering which one is correct and why the difference of numbers between it all.

2. JT123 macrumors member

Thats interesting, but as you say .2 of a Gigabyte is nothing. My best guess is that Activity monitor can see how much of the paging file is being used, and therefore gives a more accurate view of the realtime free space. Whereas Finder discounts the Paging file all together.

Might be wrong- Just a guess.

3. mape2k macrumors regular

Same for me, there is a difference of around 300mb in the two readings (ActMon vs. iStat & Finder). Since my page in is about 330mb, I would say the theory of page files could be sound.

If you really want to know, try to max out your RAM to force the system to write page files. Then you should see a changing difference in the readings, if the page files are indeed the cause.

4. Erik-604 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya just checked friends mac and its pretty much the same another question is how can I go and see what on my hard drive and remove stuff that i have missed.

5. simsaladimbamba